32. Thankful

I wake up the next morning to my alarm blaring loudly on my nightstand. I groan as I reach over to shut it off. The worst part about this arrangement was that I had to give up sleeping in this break. "Maya" my dad knocks on my door. "Time to get up kiddo. There's coffee on the counter" he says making a smile pull at my lips. My dad truly knew how to sweet talk me.

I pull back the blankets and climb out of bed before padding across the floor to the door. I pull it open and wander out into the hallway, down to the kitchen. "Morning" I greet my dad whose busy opening a bag from Dunkin' Donuts. "Did you go out?"

"I didn't want any dishes and I didn't want to make an extravagant meal. I figure we should keep our appetites for later."

"Probably" I give as he hands me my coffee. "Thank you" I smile, taking a short sip. "Did you get me a-." Before I can finish the thought he hands me a strawberry frosted donut causing a smile to pull at my lips. "Yes" I exclaim in excitement. "Thanks dad" I smile, reaching up to kiss his cheek. "I'm gonna go get ready to do. I'll be back."

"No rush" he shrugs making me giggle.

"I am going to make it to this dinner on time. I have a boyfriend to prove wrong" I smirk making my dad chuckle as he opens his own coffee and turns around to get a bottle of creamer from the fridge.

"Okay kiddo. We'll leave as soon as you're ready."

"Kay" I reply, turning on my heels and moving back towards my bedroom. I take another sip of my coffee before placing it on the bedside table. I go to grab my bag and dig into my donut while I look for something to wear today. I decide on a pair of leggings and a red sweater dress. "Hm" I hum as I spin around and walk towards my childhood closet. I pull it open and kneel down to sort through the mess I left on the floor of my closet. "Gotcha" I exclaim when I find the infinity scarf I'd been searching for. I pull it out of the unorganized chaos and bring it over to my bed.

I pop the piece of my donut into my mouth and take another long sip of my coffee before grabbing my clothes and wandering to my bathroom to get changed. I plug in my curling iron and get dressed. Once I'm done my iron is hot so I go to work on my hair. I'm almost done when my phone rings from my bedroom.

I finish the last strand and dash into the bedroom to retrieve my phone. "Hello" I answer in a haste.

"So you are up" my smart ass of a boyfriend says through the line making me roll me roll my eyes.

"Haha" I reply unamused. "You're adorable. Truly. Of course I'm up. I'm even ready to go. You're actually the only obstacle standing in my way of leaving."

"Yea? This conversation is just holding everything up?" he teases making me chuckle.

"Exactly" I agree with a giggle. "I'm surprised you're up though. You don't even have to leave your house today. What possible reason do you have to get up so damn early?"

"I'm a very helpful person I'll have you know" he replies causing a laugh of disbelief to tumble from my lips.

"Mhm totally" I smirk as I move over to my bag, zipping it up and hiking it onto my shoulder. "Well your mom is probably thinking you're super helpful right now being on the phone with me" I tease as I walk back out into the living room.

"I am helpful" he insists. "Don't you have a car to be piling into so that you can get here before dinner?" he asks making me roll my eyes in amusement.

"I do but you're distracting me, as usual" I smirk making my dad chuckle as he takes my bag from me and walks it out to the car. "My dad's packing up the car and I actually do need to go. You go help your mom with dinner and I'll see you in a little bit" I smile.