51. Squad

Staring around at Josh's dorm room has become depressing. Time had flown by and now his departure was only days away which meant I was spending every waking moment with him...not that I needed to since I would be with him all summer but who was I to not keep up with appearances.

"Gorgeous can you toss me the tape gun?" Josh asks, reaching his hand out. I turn behind myself and find the tape sitting on top of his empty desk, handing it over. "Thanks babe" he smiles, leaning down to tape the bottom of a box while I lean against the bedframe.

"So" I begin, watching him load more clothes into yet another box. I swore my boyfriend had more clothes than I could ever dream of having. "Are you excited for your last show tomorrow night?" I ask curiously. He shrugs his shoulders as he stands up straight and pushes his hair back, tossing the tape onto the futon.

"I guess. I'm gonna miss it though. I mean, that club is where our band got our start. It seems odd that we won't be performing there anymore."

I nod in understanding. "But you can always come back" I remind him as I walk towards him, wrapping my arms around his waist. He nods, leaning down to press a kiss to my lips.

"And we always will" he murmurs before he applies more pressure to the kiss and we begin making out in the middle of the room. His hands slips down to my ass and I can't help the moan that escapes into the kiss. I push my body against his, hoping to gain any sort of friction but before we can get to far gone a knock on the door interrupts us. "Dammit" he groans, releasing me from his grip and going to answer the door. On the other side of the door his family stands there and my heart sinks.

Josh had mentioned that his family was going to be coming up here for the weekend to see his last show tomorrow night but I was hoping that I wouldn't be forced to spend a shit load of time with them since our visit with them in Philly didn't exactly end amicably.

"Hello darling" his mother says, throwing her arms around her son while I hang back in the room, feeling more than a tad bit awkward. Morgan's eyes lock on mine and she scoots past her family and makes her way towards me. Instinctively I take a step back. She quirks an eyebrow at me.

"Something wrong?" she chuckles. I cross my arms over my chest and shake my head. Her eyes flicker down to the band around my left ring finger and her eyes widen. "What the hell is this?" she gasps, grabbing my hand. This catches Josh's attention....not to mention the attention of his entire family and all of their eyes lock on the ring on my finger.

"Joshua?" his father addresses him sternly. Josh makes his way towards me and shakes his head.

"It's not an engagement ring. Relax" he insists with a roll of his eyes. "We exchanged promise rings a few days ago."

"Josh-." Morgan sighs but Josh cuts her off.

"I'm done hearing your negativity. We're committed to each other and long distance can work if both people want it bad enough. We are going to make it through this and we are going to be fine. I'm not listening to the opposition anymore. I've heard all your thoughts and I gave them some thought but I'm an adult and this is my decision to make and my choice is Maya and it always will be."

My heart swells as I melt into his embrace. The family looks at us silently but finally his mother breaks the silence. "We'll support your relationship but don't expect sympathy if it doesn't work out" she says.

I know that it's not exactly the reluctant agreement we wanted but it's a starting point. "Thanks" Josh says, rolling his eyes as his tone drips with sarcasm. "Now, if you'll excuse us my girlfriend and I have a dinner party to get to" he adds as he urges me forward and with that the two of us walk out the door.