8. Shock

I honestly thought I had to be having a nightmare but one look into my friend's eyes and I know it's real, and I'm stunned.

"Maya" he says in shock, his brown eyes locking on my frozen blue ones. "I can explain" he says quickly but I shake my head as I take a step back.

This couldn't be real, I refused to believe that the person that's been nothing but supportive and amazing for the past two weeks is actually the person my crush's girlfriend was screwing.

It can't really be Zay.

"You told me that you'd tell me why you were pretending to date me" I reply dazedly, "you told me that anyone would be crazy to pick her over me, that no guy wanted a girl who cheated" I scoff.

"I was going to tell you" Zay says as he takes a step towards me.

"When?" I demand, "you knew I liked Josh and you liked his girlfriend so it made sense didn't it? Pretend to date me, drive Josh a little crazy, get him to break up with Sophie so you could finally have her all to yourself."

"I'm sorry Maya" he says softly as I shake my head, taking another step back but this time when I do I run into someone.

"What the hell is going on?" Josh asks as his hands find my waist, holding me in place. His eyes look between Zay and Sophie and I hear a faint gasp escape his lips. "You've gotta be kidding me" he mutters.

"What's wrong Joshie?" Sophie smirks as she runs her hand down Zay's arm. "You had your chance baby" she adds as Josh scoffs.

"Honestly Sophie I don't give a shit who you sleep with" he says angrily. "I'm more concerned with him" he says as he moves to step in front of me, pointing his finger accusingly at Zay. "You pretended to date the literal sweetest girl on the planet to get into my ex's pants" he exclaims.

"I pretended to date Maya because she needed to be protected from you and I was right to. The second you got your chance with her you blew up at her."

"Because she lied to me and I was upset" he replies defensively. "Not that she's any of your concern from now on."

"I think that's up to her" Zay replies as his eyes flit over to me. "Honey nugget come on, I'm sorry."

"You should be" I reply, "I need air" I add as I try to take a deep breath before rushing outside. I throw open the double doors and fall out into the courtyard, doubled over and trying to catch my breath.

"Breathe Maya" Josh says as he walks up behind me and puts his hand on my shoulder, rubbing it slowly.

"I can't" I reply, tears forming in my eyes. "He knows how much I hate her. He knows all the mean things she's said to me" I sob as I collapse onto the ground. "How could he do this to me?"

"I don't know Maya" he says as he sits beside me.

"What were you doing in my hall?" I ask curiously. "In fact why are you always in my hall?" I ask, a soft chuckle falling from my lips.

"Technically your bathroom is the closest one to my room" he explains, "but that wasn't why I was in your hall" he adds softly.

"Then why were you?" I question as I look up at him.

"To apologize" he says as he locks his gaze on mine. "I was a jerk. I was just" he sighs, "I have spent the last few days finding out about all these lies that people have been spewing at me and I just, I kinda lost it and took it out on you."

"I deserved it" I reply, resting my head on my knees as I hug them to my chest.

"No you didn't" he argues. "You're a freshman who had a crush on a guy who's older and had an awful girlfriend who bullied you. You were trying to protect yourself."