38. Worries

"I seriously cannot look at another math problem or my head will explode" I complain, clutching my head in my hands.

Josh chuckles. "I think you're being a bit dramatic. Maybe Max can hel-." He begins to suggest but as his head turns he eyes Max and Sophie making out with her sitting on his lap. "Hey enough of that" Josh snaps, throwing a pencil at them.

"Hey what the fuck man?" Max complains. "You had your turn with her."

"Max" Sophie chuckles, hitting his chest playfully.

Josh rolls his eyes, slamming his history book shut. "I don't think we're going to get anything else accomplished tonight. Wanna head back to my room?"

"If I fail-."

"You aren't going to fail" he smiles, placing his hand over mine. "You worry too much" he adds sweetly. "You're welcome to stay but I'm tired."

I sigh, gnawing my bottom lip. "I'll blame you if I fail."

"Yea okay" he chuckles, standing up and reaching for my hand. "Max. Sophie. Enjoy doing what you're doing" he says making me giggle as we walk out of the library and head towards his room.

We stop and grab Mountain Dew energy drinks before walking into his room. I crack mine open and collapse onto his futon. "Can we talk for a minute?" I ask, taking a sip.

"Sure babe. What's up?" he asks, sitting at his desk and starting up his laptop.

"You wanna be famous right? Have a successful band?"

"That's the goal yes" he nods. "But you already knew this."

I nod in agreement. "I did but my dad has me thinking-."

"I thought we settled this. We're going to be together."

"Even if I can't come with you?" I ask, gnawing my bottom lip. He worries on his bottom lip as he moves towards me, sitting beside me.

"Can't come with me? Babe what are you talking about? There will always be a place for you."

"No I know" I protest. "But I want to stay at MSA." He falls silent and my heart drops. "Babe?"

"So you stay."

"And we do distance?"

"Baby we aren't getting a record deal tomorrow. Relax okay?" he asks softly, caressing my cheek.

"Between my math exam and your band I'm going to have a stroke."

He chuckles, shaking his head. "I doubt it babe but if you did I wouldn't leave your side. Now put the energy drink down and get some sleep" he says, grabbing my drink.

"But I need to stu-."

"You need to sleep otherwise you won't be passing anything. Do you want the bed or the futon?"

"I want to sleep on the bed with you."

He smiles softly, shaking his head. "I still have a closing to write for my English essay otherwise I'd take you up on that" he replies sadly. "Go get some sleep."

I sigh, nodding my concession as I stand. "Fine but only because you asked so nicely."

"Thank you" he smiles, allowing me to brush past him and climb up into his bed.

I watch him type away at his computer for a while while equations dance in my head until finally the world goes quiet and I drift off to sleep.

************************************

I step out of the shower and my phone begins incessantly ringing on the edge of the sink. I wrap my towel around myself before grabbing my phone and bringing it to my ear. "Hey dad what's up?"