43. Celebrate

Most days it's Josh who I have a hard time convincing to get out of bed and face the day. Since he signed his record deal he's been sleeping in a lot more due to late nights at the studio and he's been late to almost every class this week due to meetings running late or oversleeping. I tried not to let it bug me but it was getting increasingly more difficult not to realize that perhaps Josh's time at this school was coming to an end.

Of course, today isn't about Josh. It's about me and instead of urging Josh to go to class I'm lying in bed beside him, staring at him while he sleeps trying to convince myself to leave the bed. "Penelope I love you but you gotta stop staring" Josh yawns, breaking me from my trance as his blue eyes flutter open. "Morning sweetheart" he smiles lazily.

"Hi" I reply, pushing back his hair. "Any big things planned for today?" I ask curiously, expecting a long list of events but he shakes his head, lying back and looking up at me.

"Are you serious? Of course not. I know what today is" he adds pointedly. "Maya I made sure I had today completely free. Your girlfriend only turns twenty once you know" he adds making tears well in my eyes and his expression quickly changes to one of understanding and sorrow. "Woah, woah" he says, sitting up and reaching out to cup my cheek. "Penelope" he sighs, pulling me into his arms. "It's okay."

"No it's not" I cry. "She's not here Josh. I only turn twenty once and she's not here."

"I know baby. I know" he sighs, rubbing my back soothingly. "You know that if I could bring her back I would. Penelope I'm so sorry" he adds genuinely as he pulls back and wipes the tears from my eyes. "What do you wanna do today? Play hooky? Go to class? What's gonna make these tears go away?" he asks, staring at me lovingly while sadness clouded his usual bright blue eyes.

"Just promise you won't leave me today" I reply immediately. "I know you're busy-."

"Not too busy for you. Not ever" he says pointedly. "Sweetheart you know if you need me you can just tell me and I'll be there. This record deal is important but not nearly as important as you. Okay?"

"Mhm" I hum. "I love you."

"I love you more" he replies without missing a beat. "So? Hooky or class?" he asks making a chuckle fall from my lips.

"Teach me how to play hooky" I insist making a smile pull at his lips as he nods, reaching forward to tuck a loose strand of hair behind my ear.

"Your wish is my command Penelope" he says before leaning forward and pecking my lips. "First thing's first" he murmurs as we pull apart. "We get dressed and head down to the union for pancakes."

I can't control the grin that spreads across my lips as I nod vigorously. "I love it when you talk dirty to me" I tease as I hop down off his bed.

We both quickly change into comfy clothes, me in a pair of yoga pants and one of Josh's sweatshirts and him in a pair of sweatpants and a baggy t-shirt. He takes my hand in his and leads me down to the union, tugging my closer and switching his hand to his arm as he wraps it around my waist. "I love you" he murmurs making my heart skip a beat as I look up at him.

"I love you too" I agree happily.

We walk into the union and he tells me to grab a table while he goes to get our food. It's not long before I find an empty space and sit down. As I'm taking my seat my phone vibrates with a text from Riley.

HONEY: Happy birthday Peaches!!! I hope you enjoy your day with you boyfriend...don't forget to use protection ;)

I roll my eyes, composing a text back to her.