28. Frenemies

I hear my alarm go off on Monday morning and I quickly reach over to shut it off, hoping that I can shut it up before it wakes up Josh and I can pretend that I forgot to set it. "Was that your alarm?" Josh asks making my plan go out the window in .5 seconds.

"Yea" I sigh, lying back down beside my boyfriend. "I don't wanna go to class" I explain, looking up at him as he looks back at me intently.

"Penelope if you think for one second that the guy who almost-." He cuts himself off, taking a deep breath. "He isn't getting within five feet of you. Do you understand me?" he asks. I nod. "I'm not leaving your side today I promise."

"You can't possibly keep that promise" I chuckle. "You have your own classes to get to."

"I will. Once it's made clear that you and Zay won't be partners in anything and he'll keep his distance. The thought of him touching you for dancing or otherwise makes me sick to my stomach. I don't want his hands anywhere near you."

I know that there's no point in arguing with him and honestly I think if Zay would try to touch me today during practice I would have a panic attack and probably end up doing harm to myself. "Okay" I give. "Just let me get dressed." I climb down and find my bag by his desk. I quickly strip down and slip into my outfit while Josh is climbing down. He slips into a pair of jeans and a black tank top that makes every curve of every muscle on his body prominent. My mouth goes dry as I stare at him in awe. "Have you ever thought of becoming an Abercrombie model or something?" I ask him teasingly.

"Shut it" he laughs as he looks over at me. "You ready to go babe?" I nod and he grabs his keys before opening his door and ushering me out of the room. We hold hands as we walk to class and he holds the door open for me when we arrive at the studio. I walk in and Zay is already there warming up. My breath hitches and I take a step back. "Penelope" Josh says softly. "I'm right here" he says as he takes my hand and pulls me to his side.

"Hey" Riley says as she walks up to us. "You okay?" she asks worriedly. I had told her what happened yesterday and she was beyond livid that Zay would do such a thing and she was upset with herself for not being there to help me.

"No" I reply honestly. Her face softens as she takes my other hand. Smackle makes her way over to me with a sympathetic smile.

"Hi" she says softly. The crowd I was gaining seemed to catch Miss Laine's attention since she was now walking towards us with a confused and borderline aggravated look on her face.

"Why aren't you ladies warming up?" she demands, placing her hands on her hips.

"Maya needs a new partner" Josh says making her narrow her eyes at him.

"I don't think so. It's too late in the seme-."

"All due respect Miss Laine" Josh says sternly. "But he almost sexually assaulted her at a party this past weekend so I'm not asking. I'm telling you that she needs a new partner." Miss Laine's eyes widen as she looks down at me. The fear must be evident in her eyes because her frozen features melt and she nods.

"Josh?" she asks, looking up at my boyfriend. "What are you doing this period?"

"Nothing" he shrugs. "I sleep" he chuckles as Miss Laine shakes her head.

"Not anymore. You want her to have a new partner. You'll step in. I cannot tear every pair apart because of an incident but I understand her want to have a new partner. I'll grant the request if you step in to fill Isaiah's spot."

Josh looks down at me and then to Zay who's looking at all of us with intrigue. He wraps his arm around my waist and nods. "Fine." My heart flutters. Josh as my dance partner. This could be fun.