30. Auditions

"When's your last class?" my dad asks over the phone while I'm walking towards the band's practice room. Josh was holding open auditions for the band's new drummer and I promised him that I'd be there.

"My last class is Tuesday morning" I reply as I rush down the hallway. The last week has been weird to say the least. The fallout of Friday night followed us into the entire week. Derek was already working to put together a band to compete against Josh's. Natalie was trying her best to put on a good front but it was obvious that Derek's rejection hurt her more than she was willing to admit. I felt bad for her, she really did fall for him and he turned out to be nothing more than an asshole.

Then of course there was Smackle. She was missing all week. I knew she had told us she was dropping out at the end of the semester but her sudden disappearance was confusing. I hadn't even seen Farkle on campus. I knew something was up with her I just didn't know what it was or why she wasn't telling Riley and me.

"Tuesday?" my dad questions. "That's cutting it a bit close don't you think?" he asks causing me to groan as I pull open the door to the studio. Next week was already Thanksgiving and I was making the journey home to celebrate with my dad.

"I can't help it dad. That's what's happening" I snip. Josh looks up at me and a smile pulls at his lips. I shoot him a tight-lipped smile as I take a seat beside him. "Look dad I have to go. I'll see you on Wednesday" I say before hanging up the phone. I take a deep breath and run my fingers through my hair in frustration.

"Long day?" Josh guesses causing a short laugh to tumble from my lips.

"Long week" I sigh as I relax in my seat, looking over at him. "Hi" I breathe out making him chuckle as he leans down to kiss me.

"Hi sweetheart" he smiles as he pulls back.

"You owe me two fifty" Natalie says as she tosses Josh an energy drink before taking a seat beside me.

"Thanks Nat" he replies. "How you doing?" he asks as he pops open the can.

"Fine" she snips. "Where the fuck is Max?" she demands. As if on cue the door opens and Max walks in with his shirt halfway unbuttoned and his hair a complete mess on top of his head.

We all stare at him with our jaws on the floor. "Sorry I'm late" he smirks as he moves to sit beside Josh. "I got a little tied up with something" he adds, a light blush rising on his cheeks.

"By tied up do you mean kidnapping or" Josh trails off.

"A gentleman never kisses and tells" Max smirks. "Now are we starting these auditions or what?" We all seemingly shake out of our thoughts and nod.

"Yea" Josh says. "Baby I was thinking you could handle the door" he explains, turning to me.

"Mkay" I jump up out of my seat. I head over to the door and open it, finding two students on the other side. "Hi are you here for the auditions?" I ask them brightly. They both look at me like I've lost my mind and my heart drops. I look up and down the hallway but I don't see anyone. I gnaw my bottom lip and turn my attention to the band. "Um there's no one out here" I explain awkwardly.

"What do you mean?" Josh asks, "I put posters up all over campus."

"Well" I sigh as I look out at the hallway. My eyes spot another poster and my eyes widen as I make my way over to it. I yank it off the wall angrily and stalk back into the studio. "I think I may have an idea as to why." I slap the poster onto the table and Josh's eyes widen in shock while Natalie scoffs, rolling her eyes.

"Lovely" she grumbles.

"He's hosting auditions the same day as us" Josh demands. "You gotta be fucking kidding me."