36. Idiots

"I will see you again. This is not where it ends" the song plays loudly as I dance through the routine for the millionth time this morning. I was getting incredibly nervous about the winter showcase the closer it was getting.

"So this is where you keep running off to" Josh observes as he stands in the doorway, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Hey" I reply breathlessly as I bend over to grab my phone, pausing the song. "Sorry. Did I wake you up?" I ask worriedly as I stand up, brushing my hair back up into the bun on top of my head.

"No" he assures me, "but I noticed your absence when I did" he adds as he walks towards me. "You do realize you're incredible right? This routine, the song" he trails off. "The performance is going to be amazing and your dad is gonna be so proud of you. Just like I am" he adds sweetly as he grabs my hand, pulling me into his embrace.

I scrunch my nose as I push back on his chest. "I'm sweaty" I protest making him chuckle.

"Baby I don't care" he insists as he wraps me in his embrace. I smile as I melt into him, wrapping my arms around his neck. "Though I prefer to be the one making you hot and sweaty" he smirks.

"Josh" I gape making him laugh as he watches my expression. "Behave" I scold.

"What's the fun in that?" he smiles as he leans forward to kiss me.

"Woah. Sorry" Sophie says causing Josh and I to pull apart as I turn to find her walking into the studio with her ballet bag on her shoulder. "I didn't see your name on the schedule."

"No biggie" I shrug. "I was just leaving" I add as I smile at Josh before moving to grab my bag. I sling it over my shoulder and grab my phone, disconnecting the Bluetooth. "The studio is all yours."

"Thanks" she replies happily. "Oh but Josh" she says, stopping us. "The gig tonight. Can I score backstage access?" she asks hopefully making him chuckle.

"You're screwing Max" he shrugs. "I kinda assumed he'd let you in."

"Oh" she blushes, averting her gaze to the ground. "Um okay" she says. "See you tonight then."

"Yea okay" he nods as he slings his arm across my shoulders. "See ya" he adds as he leads us out of the studio. I look up at him as we walk back towards the dorms and laugh lightly, shaking my head in amusement. "What is so funny?" he asks as he nudges me.

"Nothing" I shrug nonchalantly, "it's just" I pause, "you don't need to be so blunt. You could've said you're seeing Max or messing with" I try, "you don't have to say things like screwing."

"Well that's what they're doing" he replies, his eyebrows furrowing.

"I know but" I sigh, trying to find the best way to explain this. "What if someone said that I'm allowed backstage because we're hooking up or something?"

"Alright" he concedes, "I see your point."

"Good" I smile victoriously as we reach his room. He unlocks the door and the two of us walk inside. I drop my bag to the floor before reaching up to let my hair down from my ballet bun. "I think I might go take a quick shower" I say decisively.

"Okay" he says as he plops down onto the futon. "I'll be-."

"Wanna join me?" I ask causing his eyes to widen as he drops his remote and looks up at me.

"What?"

"It's just" I shrug, taking my bottom lip between my teeth. "It's just an idea."

"One that could lead to a decision that you can't take back" he reminds me as he looks at me intently.