35. Unplugged

I wake up early the next morning to get in an early practice before class. I climb out of bed and write Josh a quick note before slipping out of his room and heading down to my own. I open the door and find Riley still fast asleep in her bed. I move towards my dresser and grab my bodysuit and a pair of black leggings. I turn and grab my ballet shoes off the floor, throwing them over my shoulder before leaving my room and heading down to the studio. When I get there I see Smackle already there moving to the music, getting lost in it.

I smile as I walk in, leaning against the wall. The song stops and Smackle turns around, stopping abruptly when she realizes she has company. "Oh. Hey" she says with a soft chuckle. "I thought I was alone."

"I wanted to get in an early practice before class" I explain as I walk towards her. "How long have you been here?"

She shrugs, "a while. I can't sleep" she admits with a sigh. "And dancing has kinda become my escape through all this, believe it or not."

"Are you still dropping out?" I ask as I move towards the barre to start warmups. She follows me and begins stretching along with me.

"I can't dance when I'm eight months pregnant" she chuckles. "And being at the country's best dance school will be too much once the baby comes. I won't be able to balance both."

I nod in understanding. "Are you gonna try and apply to other colleges?"

"Maybe after the baby is born" she shrugs. "A few years down the line. I really don't know. I never saw my life turning out like this. My parents were so proud when I got in here. I have honestly never seen them so happy. Then I go and meet a boy and get distracted. I stop going to class and I start spending every minute with him" she sighs. "And then I get pregnant. I am literally such a cliché."

"I think you're being a bit too hard on yourself" I argue. "Have you talked to Farkle again yet?" I ask but she shakes her head.

"Well" I sigh, putting my hair up into a bun on top of my head. "You'll just have to come with us to the club on Friday." Her eyes widen as she shakes her head.

"No. I can't."

"Smackle you have to talk to him. Actually talk. You're having a baby. His baby. This isn't one of those things that will go away if you ignore it, it actually does the complete opposite" I point out. She sighs.

"I'm afraid that once we talk it'll really be over. I'll be on my own" she cries. I shake my head as I place my hand over hers.

"I told you yesterday, you won't be alone. You have me and I know once you tell Riley you'll have her too" I smile softly. "Even if Farkle walks out on you, you won't ever be alone and your baby will be so loved" I gush making her chuckle.

"You're the best you know that?" she asks as she pulls me in for a hug.

"I try" I tease as I hug her back tightly.

*************************************************************************************

"My feet are killing me" I complain as I walk out of class limping. Going on breaks was great except that when you were done with them then your feet were out of practice and you ended up in severe pain. "And I still have academics today" I add with a groan.

"Good luck. I'm going to take a nap" Smackle says as she walks away from us leaving Riley watching after her skeptically.

"Is she okay? She's been acting weirder than normal." I shrug.

"I think she's just a little tired. She had a stressful break" I reply nonchalantly. "I'm gonna be late for science. I'll see you later" I smile before limping off to the classroom. When I get there Sophie and Josh are already sitting around our lab bench.