29. Chaos

The week passes without a word from Zay. The whole campus is abuzz with gossip about what happened, what led to the crash, if he's coming back to MSA, and most of all were Sophie or I to blame. Sophie, Josh, and I are walking out of science class when I see him leaning against the wall. His arm is in a sling and he has a cut under his left eye but otherwise he looks exactly the same as he did the last time I saw him. "What is he doing here?" Josh asks, wrapping a protective arm around my waist.

"I don't know" I mumble as Sophie stays glued to my side. I look to her for an answer but she looks as confused as I am.

"Do we talk to him?" Sophie asks softly. Josh looks down at the two of us and shakes his head.

"No way in hell" he responds. Josh puts pressure on my back to get me to move and I reach behind me for Sophie's hand. The three of us begin to walk away but it's never that easy with Zay.

"So are the three of you like friends now?" he asks. I notice a slur in his speech and shake my head. He was drinking. That seemed to answer every question I had about Monday night. If he was drinking it was no wonder he wrapped his car around a tree.

"Ignore him" Josh whispers as we continue on our way.

"Wow" Zay exclaims as he moves to step in front of us. "It's nice to know that you can forgive Sophie but not me" he scoffs. "Though I guess it makes sense" he shrugs. "Josh probably just wants to keep his options open" he snips, cutting his gaze to my boyfriend. "You know, in case you lose Maya when she realizes she doesn't want to put up with you anymore."

"I don't think my relationship is any of your concern Zay" Josh replies calmly. "Why don't you go back to your dorm and sober up?"

"I'm sober" he lies making Josh shake his head.

"Sure you are. Do us a favor and don't go driving around" Josh says as he tries to maneuver us past Zay but even drunk Zay is too quick on his feet.

"I just don't understand what happened" he exclaims in desperation. "We were such good friends Maya."

"No" I shake my head, looking him dead in the eyes. "I was a good friend. You were a jerk who used me and when you realized you actually liked me you tried to force yourself on me. You ruined our friendship Zay and you need to move on. Quit drinking and maybe" I sigh, running my fingers through my hair, "maybe you should leave MSA for a while." His eyes widen and I shake my head as three of us finally move past him.

"You okay?" Josh asks as his grip on my waist tightens.

"I'm good" I assure him. "I just really hope I'm done dealing with him" I add honestly. He nods in understanding as we make our way to the dorms.

"So" Sophie says, attempting to change the subject. "What time do Maya and I have to be at the club tonight?" she asks curiously.

"Um our show starts at ten" he shrugs, "so any time before that would be preferable, especially because you" he points to me, "need to rehearse. So maybe nine."

"Kay" I smile, looking up at my boyfriend as we pause at his room. "See you later."

"Mhm" he smiles, leaning down to leave a soft kiss on my lips. "I love you" he murmurs as he pulls back.

"I love you too" I reply. He lets me go and Sophie and I start heading down the hall to my room.

"You guys are kinda nauseating" Sophie says making my chuckle as I dig in my bag for my room keys.

"I like to think we're sweet" I shrug as I retrieve my keys. I look up and see Farkle sneaking out of Smackle's room. I quirk an eyebrow at him. "Where do you think you're going?" I question.