26. Practices

"Great work today" Miss Laine compliments as she rises from her seat while I cross the floor to pick up my duffel bag. Since being back I had been having extra practices after hours to try and catch up with all the material I had missed while I was gone.

"Thank you" I reply breathlessly as I reach into the side pocket of my bag and grab my water bottle. I take a long swig before hoisting my bag onto my shoulder. "Are we having extra practices this weekend?" I ask curiously. This weekend was Halloween and I was hoping that she would say-.

"I don't see why not" she replies making me crumble on the inside. I really wanted to perform with Josh and my friends this weekend and maybe have a little alone time with my boyfriend. "Unless there's something else you need to do?" she challenges.

"Of course not" I reply. "I'll be here" I assure her. She smiles and dismisses me, allowing me to rush down to the band's practice room. What I walk in on is complete chaos.

"We are not doing that song" Derek exclaims. "It's too common. We need something they aren't going to expect."

"Well there aren't many options Derek" Josh snaps as I drop my bag to the floor. I lock eyes with Natalie.

"What's going on?" I mouth making her roll her eyes.

"Thriller" she mouths simply making me furrow my eyebrows in confusion. That did nothing to clear up the situation I had walked in on.

"Ehm" I clear my throat, catching my boyfriend's attention.

"Penelope" Josh smiles brightly as he saunters over to me to leave a quick kiss on my lips. "Maybe a fresh perspective will change Derek's mind" he adds as he wraps his arm around me.

"What am I doing?" I chuckle, looking up at my boyfriend confusedly before locking my gaze on Derek who seems less than amused.

"Derek says that Thriller is too common to sing at on Halloween" Josh explains. I laugh, finally making sense of the situation but gazing around the room for their other band member who seemed to be missing.

"What does Max think? And where is Max?" I ask curiously.

"Tutoring" Josh replies as he moves to sit down on the couch, pulling me with him. "What do you think gorgeous?" he asks as he places his hand on my knee and wraps his arm around my waist.

"I think they'll be expecting it" I reply honestly. "It's a classic and that's why you have to sing it." Derek rolls his eyes and scoffs.

"Of course she takes your side. She's fucking you" he exclaims making Josh's grip on my waist tighten. I look down at him to see his eyes blazing back into Derek's.

"Alright" I say abruptly. "I think that's enough for today" I add as I stand up and grab my bag before turning around to take Josh's hand. "Come on" I insist. He breaks his gaze with Derek and looks at me, his face softening.

"Fine" he grumbles as he takes my hand and lets me guide him out of the room. We fall into step together but silence falls around us.

"Stop" I insist as I bump my shoulder into his. "He's just pissed and he's being an asshole. Don't let him ruin your night." He shakes his head and I sigh. "I have something that will ruin it anyway" I add making him furrow his eyebrows as he looks down at me. "I can't come" I say simply. "I have extra practice with Miss Laine all weekend" I explain sadly making his face fall but he remains silent. We reach his room and he lets us in but moves to sit down without a word. "Josh can you say something?"

"I have nothing to say" he says simply. "I can't ask you not to go to your practices. I know you missed a lot when we were out of town. I want to spend Halloween with you but I'll get over it."

"What about Derek?" I ask as I cross the room and take a seat on the futon beside him.

"Derek is Derek. He's an ass. I just don't like the way he talks about you. I don't want people thinking of you negatively because you're dating me."

"I get that" I nod in understanding. "Can you stop being upset? This is kinda the only time alone we're gonna have all weekend" I chuckle. He turns his gaze to me and a soft smile pulls at his lips as he reaches out to caress my cheek before leaning in to leave a soft kiss to my lips. He pulls back slowly and rests his forehead against mine.

"You hungry?"

"Starving" I exclaim making him chuckle as he reaches across the coffee table for his cell phone.

"Pizza okay?"

"Pizza is perfect" I reply as I relax, kicking my feet up on the coffee table. "And can we get cheesy bread?" I beg.

"Anything for you" he says sweetly as he leans down to peck my lips before placing our order.

*************************************************************************************

"How are practices going?" Josh asks curiously while we lie in bed later that night while late night talk shows played in the background. This had become our nightly routine since returning to normalcy, late night television while we caught up on our days.

"Good. I just wish she would've given me the holiday weekend off. I know it's only Halloween and I'm supposed to be focused on my dancing but I was just really looking forward to being able to let loose" I sigh, tracing the curves of his abdominal muscles with my fingers.

"I was thinking about staying for the party after our performance. Would that be something you'd be interested in?" he asks as he traces circles on my hip.

"I don't know" I sigh, "would you be tempted to do something stupid if I wasn't" I ask worriedly as I lift my gaze to rest on his.

"You think I'd cheat on you?" he asks, hurt lacing his voice as his hand stops it's soothing motion. I cast my gaze down and focus on my fingers running over his chest. "Penelope" he says softly as he lifts my chin, making me look at him. "No amount of alcohol could make me cheat on you" he assures me, caressing my cheek. "If you don't want to go, then I'll probably just come back here. I'd rather spend the night with you in this bed than getting drunk off my ass without you" he says making my heart flutter. I gnaw my bottom lip and think it over.

"I'll meet you there" I give making his eyes widen in surprise.

"Yea?"

"Mhm" I nod happily. "What's the worst that could happen?"

A/N: Short chapter before the party...I promise the next chapter will be longer! Whether that's a good or bad thing is yet to be seen. Read if you dare....