15. Preparing

"You have got to be kidding me" I mutter, stopping in the middle of the hallway on Monday morning making Smackle and Riley pile in behind me.

"Maya what the heck?" Riley laughs as she steps beside me, her eyes looking at the piece of paper that was hanging from the bulletin board. "Yikes" she says. "I mean I know I'm screwed but you're like really, really screwed."

"What are the two of you going on about?" Smackle asks as she pushes us aside, her eyes practically bugging out of her head as her eyes land on the sheet of paper that read:

PARENT'S WEEKEND!

Already feeling homesick after your first month away from home? We have the perfect solution! Parent's weekend, where parents will be invited to spend the weekend with students. Parents will be given complimentary accommodations at a nearby hotel for the whole three days!

October 6 – 8

"That's this weekend" I stutter.

"I have to warn Farkle" Smackle exclaims, digging into her bag for her phone. I fill with panic. It started on Friday which meant my gig with Josh and the band this Friday was up in flames.

"Dammit" I mutter in annoyance. Just when I was falling into a routine this has to happen. "This is gonna be a disaster."

*************************************************************************************

"Isaiah I swear if you drop Maya one more time" Miss Laine exclaims in frustration as I land on my ass for the literal tenth time today.

"Are you hoping if you drop me enough you'll get to switch partners?" I ask in annoyance as I move to stand in front of him again, falling back into position.

"Is it that obvious?" he asks with a smirk making me roll my eyes as he goes to lift me. But again he drops me right on my ass.

"God dammit Zay" I exclaim as I pick myself back up. "Would you at least try" I shout, catching Miss Laine's attention.

"Miss Hunter calm down" she says softly.

"No" I exclaim, "he's fucking me up on purpose."

"Language" she scolds.

I sigh, frustrated that I can't run my fingers through my hair. "I'm sorry Miss Laine" I apologize. "I just, I feel that if I had a different partner this would work."

"Ballet is challenging Miss Hunter."

"I know" I give, "but it's even more frustrating when your partner is purposely dropping you on your as-butt" I correct.

"Isaiah" she says, eyeing him expectantly.

"I swear I'm trying Miss Laine" he replies, faking innocence.

"If he's trying then I'm expecting my contract from the company tomorrow" Josh laughs, the door shutting behind him as he walks in. "Hey Miss Laine" he smiles, walking over to my instructor.

"Joshua what are you doing here?" she asks curiously.

"Oh Dr. Masters wanted me to bring you the sheet music he finished up for Swan Lake last night" he smiles, "I'm sorry to interrupt."

"What do you think of Isaiah's technique?" she asks my boyfriend bluntly.

"I think he has a vendetta against my girlfriend so he's purposely dropping her" he says bluntly. "Hey gorgeous" he adds, reaching for my hand and pulling me against his side. I notice for the first time that the class has stopped and we've become the center of attention.