49. Laughter

Waking up the next morning I glance up at the clock and groan when seven o'clock flashes back at me. Of course after last night's drama I couldn't even be rewarded with sleep. Instead I spent the entire night tossing and turning and about two hours of actual deep sleep.

I turn to around and find Josh sleeping soundly beside me and smile. At least one of us was getting some rest.

I unwind myself from his embrace and climb out of bed, opening the door and sneaking down the back staircase that leads into the kitchen. Upon getting to the bottom of the steps it's clear that I'm the only one awake and I'm beyond thankful for that. The last thing I wanted to do was play nice with Josh's family after hearing their doubts last night.

A part of me understood where they were coming from but an even bigger part of me wished that they had more faith in me and Josh as a couple. I knew things were going to be difficult but I didn't think they'd be impossible. Unfortunately it was becoming more and more apparent that Josh and I were the only ones who shared that sentiment.

I glance out the window and notice their neighbor Mr. Feeny working in his garden and decide to walk out to the yard. Quietly, I open the door and step out, alerting the old man to me presence. He looks up and offers me a kind smile. "You must be Josh's girl" he says fondly.

I nod, taking a seat on the bench the Matthews' have placed out on the patio. "That I am. What gave it away?" I ask curiously.

He laughs. "The blue eyes. He went on for about five minutes talking about them when he first called me about you" he confesses making my eyes widen. I had no idea that Josh spoke about me to anyone, especially Mr. Feeny.

"Oh" I reply shyly. "I wasn't aware you two were close."

He laughs. "I'm close to all of them" he says, meaning the Matthews clan. "They're like my children." I nod in understanding. I knew he didn't have any children of his own but his students became his kids and I knew he cared deeply for each and every one of them. "I heard that Josh is going to be touring for the next few months" he adds, changing the subject.

I sigh, lifting my leg onto the seat and resting my head on it. "Yea" I reply, letting out a frustrated breath.

He quirks an eyebrow at me. "Are you not happy about the tour?" he inquiries. I shake my head.

"No of course I am" I argue. "I love Josh and I want nothing but success for him it's just-it's hard. I love him so much that I don't want to be away from him but with dancing-."

"It's hard to manage" he nods, giving up his task and moving to come and join me in the Matthews' yard. He takes a seat beside me and relaxes back onto the bench. I had no doubt that this wasn't the first time he'd been recruited for advice on this bench and I was even more positive that it wouldn't be the last. "But as you said, you care for him so what's the problem?"

"That's just it" I exclaim. "Josh and I have made our peace with it but everyone else-."

"Ah that's your problem" he insists. "Never let someone else dictate your life or your decisions. Love is hard and it's messy but when you make it through hardships together it will bring you closer."

"But what about compromise?" I question. "Everyone keeps telling me I should just give up dancing for him."

He shakes his head. "Dreams aren't meant to be compromised on. But" he adds, "I don't suppose you have plans for the summer."

I shrug. "I was thinking of taking a summer class but I haven't signed up yet" I explain causing a smile to pull at his lips.

"The compromise" he exclaims making me furrow my eyebrows in confusion. He laughs at my expression. "Go with him over the summer" he insists. "You may even benefit from some time around dancers that dance differently from how you're trained, maybe give you your own style that you can bring back in the fall."