4H Camp & Panic Attacks

maybe we were driving too fast or not fast enough as the wind blew through my hair and spelled out the words I could never say to you. the sun perched in the clouds winked at me and the clouds backed off and I knew this was okay. we had driven down this road so many times before only to turn around and go back to square one. but you had your hand in mine and we were singing way too loud and the grin on your face was big enough to fill the aching hole in my chest and I let myself be happy. I told you about how when I was little whenever the humane society commercials came on I was always crying by the second note of "Arms of an Angel" because I thought they were advertising animal cruelty. and you told me the only time you ever felt yourself was when i was looking at you like I did at the art when you took me to the museums in New York. like I was drinking you in and letting you give me life. we were laying on the hood of the car swimming in the clear blueness of the sky and you touched my shoulder and I looked at you with the sun kissing your caramel skin and I swore to myself then I'd never seen something more beautiful. you pulled me into you with your soft skin and my body hummed and I never knew you could make music out of a person until then. when you whispered thickly "thank you for staying by me even though I'm the last guy in the world who deserves a girl like you." my heart ached for the times we hurt but it glowed for the times we loved and i knew then, you were the only person I'd ever give my heart to even when they had dirt on their hands. I knew that this time was going to be different, we were going to keep driving. Even if we got a flat tire we will repair it together and the light in our eyes will be enough to fuel us for the rest of the trip.