golf courses & hair salons

anticipation: the times between us fold like clothes on a sunday morning.

comfort: the blankets on your bed smell like home and your hands around my waist shield me from whatever may come.

contentment: your body is warm and comforting like my favorite pajamas fresh out of the dryer and when i feel your laugh on my back my heart swells.

confusion: when i leave i tell you that i am not actually gone.  you understand this the next day when it rains and you hear my laughter in the rain pinging your roof. you reach out to pull me in but nothings there.

sadness: the days drag on and our hands still reach for each other when we sleep. the miles between tug at things unseen deep in our chests and i don't go to sleep for a week without crying to exhaust me first. you feel helpless.

nostalgia: i spend my free time glazing my eyes over staring at pictures of us, a wistful smile plastered on my face etched from the process of missing you. my pillow doesn't do you justice for i can't hear your heartbeat as i fall asleep.

excitement: the humidity in the air as summer draws near sweats out our sadness and the pool waters satiate our bones with the remembrance of each other. the sound of your plane tickets printing is the prettiest thing you've heard next to my voice you tell me.

peace: your singing in the shower and when you get out you pounce on me and shake your hair on me like a wet puppy dog before filling my stomach with butterflies and planting a soft kiss on my forehead. with my hands on either side of your face, i see my whole life in your eyes.

commitment: i tell you that night as I'm bent over a notebook trying to write the crease from between my brow away that you are the only guy ever worthy of sneaking his way into my poetry. the tears streaming down my face confirm this for you and fill your own eyes with tears. you kiss away my tears as i brush your away with my thumb and we go to sleep to the music of our own breathing.

satisfaction: we spent years together yet so far apart, going through the ups and downs of any relationship through a screen. if anyone has earned the right to wake up next to each other, it's us.