#5 The gunshot

Shahid.

I clutched the steering tightly in my hands, I know there is no turning back now.it was past midnight and the whole area was in darkness.

I drove through the long road, the only light was from my headlight, I came to a stop at the far End of the bridge that was extending to the sea, I opened the door and came out.

"I am here" I shouted.

"Do you have the files?"I heard one of them before the light came.

It was a black car, I saw outlines of them when they started to get out.

"yes," I said, Blinking my eyes at the sudden bright light from their car.

They started to move towards me.

"wait!" I said and they stopped.

"I want to see if she's alright first," I said, my heart beating painfully now. "I want to see jasmine is alright first," I said firmly as I clutched the hard disk tightly in my hand.

"untie her"

I heard the order, my heart was beating frantically now. I heard the car door open.

"Jasmine!" I ran to her as soon as I saw her. she stumbled without balance and I reached her in time.

I wrapped her in my hands, hugging her tightly to me, both of my eyes filled as I felt her fragile body.

"what have you done to her!? Why is she so weak!" I said in anger.

There was laughter around us and I tightened my grip around her.

"That is why you should have obeyed us in the first place, we told you we would starve her if you don't get those files"

My blood boiled at that.

They were starving her these three days?

I tried to hold my anger, I know I am helpless in front of them.

"Jas..mine.." my voice trembled as I called her.

"Shahid..I..I.. love you" she whispered in a hoarse voice.

"shh..don't talk, let's get out of here first, "I said, tightening my hands around her.

"you can hand me that files now, now that we are happily reunited" I heard the snickering voice.

I supported jasmine with my one hand and slowly pulled out the hard disk.

I outstretched it to them.

Being a software genius was my only gift. I was neither rich nor eligible for any other field, My life was easy for me as I am one of the "BEST" as they called me.

I never thought I will hate my gift one day, I never thought it will harm my family.

"check it" the order came again and one of them walked to me.

"This is the correct one," The guy said while connecting it to his device.

I supported jasmine and started to walk to our car.

"Are you leaving already?" I heard the leader's voice again. I stilled as I heard the clicking sound, there's no mistaking that, I turned around to see him pointing the gun at me.

"Abiram., "I said slowly, recognizing him with shock.

I never thought he would personally come to deal with me!

He laughed mercilessly.

I pulled jasmine behind me and we hide behind the car. I know it's a poor attempt, but it's all I got now.