Chapter 3

Layla's POV

I lay the remaining of my album, clothes and pile of school work onto my bed, studying them.

My album has now only one cover; the stitching falling apart; the word 'Lay remaining. The fur is completely shrivelled, the golden colour it once had, replaced with a dark brown.

I open the album to see a lot of the photos still remaining, with not much damage, apart from the burnt edges. But some were completely burnt leaving black stains onto the frameworks.

Sighing, I shut the album.

Thank God, it's not totally ruined.

I gather up the clothes, and rub my temples as a headache starts to form.

How will I have time to replace these?

At least most of my schoolwork is fine, apart from a few which are still on the yard, burnt to ashes. I'll just have to redo em.

Grabbing a black bin bag from under my bed-don't ask- I shove my burnt clothes in, tying a knot and then dragging them downstairs. I open the door, letting the wind blow against my face, which is covered in dry tears.

I step out bare feet, and chuck the bag into the big bin, before entering the house again, closing it shut.

I turn and stop when I see Heidi in front of me.

Her brown hair tied up in a messy bun, her green eyes gleaming with mischief, a smirk plastered on her smug face.

"What do you want Heidi?" I stretch out, keeping my face blank.

A frown appears on her face.
"Shouldn't you be crying right now?" She smirks again.

"And shouldn't you be getting a life right now?" I ask, rolling my eyes, and jog back upstairs, leaving her standing there like a lost puppy.

I enter my room, and fill my silent room with music.

I then lay quiet, my back pressed against my bed, staring up at the ceiling, until I fall into a dreamless sleep, with my music still playing on repeat.

~~~~~~

Next day

The sound of my blaring alarm awakes me from sleep. I groan and slowly sit up, rubbing my eyes as a yawn escapes my mouth.

I grab my phone and try switching it on. Great. It's out of battery, I must of left the music on all night.

I reluctantly put my phone on charge and stand up, getting on with my morning routine.

I then make my way to school; the images of yesterday filling my mind. I blink away the tears that begin to form and sigh.

I'm so hungry. I've not had breakfast.
Nothing unusual though.

Once I arrive I enter the building, heading towards my locker and fish out my book for Spanish class.

"Boo" someone whispers into my ear, and I jump hitting my head against the locker.

I groan and turn around, clutching my head and glare when I see Kaleb, (one of my best friends)

He's tall, almost six feet tall and has brown messy hair, with one pierced ear.

"Thanks a lot." I glare at him, closing my eyes to subdue the pain.

"No need, it was my pleasure." he smirks, and I roll my eyes.

"You won't believe what my sister did yesterday." I close the locker shut.

"What happened?" He leans his back against the locker, raising a brow.

"So as soon as I enter my house and go up to my room, I find her there, like it's the most usual thing to do, burning my fricking things and chucking them out in the yard!" I throw my hands up, letting out an angry sigh.

He presses his lips into a thin line as I continue.

"My dad then came in and told me off for practically nothing! So it was me who got in trouble while Heidi was being comforted. I'm honestly so..." I trail off when I see his eyes land on my cheek.

I immediately place my hand over it, letting out a nervous laugh.

Shit I forgot to cover it up.

He walks up to me and pulls my hand away, his jaw clenching.

"Who did this to you?" He growls, angrily.

"Uh, I-I..well...funny story a-actually–"

"I didn't know they physically abused you!" He snapped, and I gulp slightly as my cheeks tint red.

"It's not too bad, I can handle and–"

"Not too bad huh?" He growls. "If they leave marks on you then it is too bad!" He exclaims.

I open my mouth, but he cuts me off. "How long has this been going on?"

"Kaleb, please–"

"How long?" He snaps, his face turning red.

"Kaleb please calm down, people are staring." I gulp again, looking around before back at him.

He lets out an aggravated sigh, before raking his hands through his hair, roughly.

"Why didn't you tell me?" He sighs after a moment.

I lick my dry lips looking around. "I knew you'd act like this, and I'm sorry but I don't need this right now." I take steps away from him.

"What? Where are you going, we're not done with this." He gives me a pointed look, watching me as I take even more steps back.

"I have to get to class." I give him a small grin. "I'll see you later." And with that I turn and speed walk away, not missing him shout.

"We'll talk about this later!"

•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°