Chapter 12

Layla's POV

The sound of the door creaking open stirs me from sleep. Slowly I begin to open my eyes, a blurred figure filling my sight. I lift my sore hands and rub them, before opening them again, the figure now closer to me.

It's Heidi. Staring down at me with her sharp green eyes. For a second I thought it was mum with such close resemblance. Unlike me, I look much like my father, same grey eyes.

I lift myself up from the solid ground and sit up, groaning as my aching muscles soar through me.

I straighten myself up, stretching my arms up and letting out a loud yawn, raking my tangled hair backwards. I could see Heidi giving me a disgusted look from the corner of my eyes but I ignore it.

"What do you want?" I finally ask, my voice groggy.

I look up to her and meet her mischievous green eyes, a smirk plastered on her face "Just wanted to see how you're holding up." She says in her high pitched voice, tucking a strand of her hair with her long perfectly manicured nails. I look at my chipped, dirt-filled nails with a frown and quickly shake my head looking back up at her.

Her smirk widens and I roll my eyes. "Does mum and dad know about this?" I ask slowly, gesturing my hands to signal the situation.

She laughs half-heartedly "Know about this? they're the ones who planned this all out."

I furrow my brows and shrug. "How much?"

"A million pounds!" She squeals excitedly and I roll my eyes, shaking my head as she continues her upcoming speech.

"Like...a million pounds.. just for a cheap little shit like you!?" She exclaims and I roll my eyes again.

"Who knew we could become millionaires by giving away a literal piece of shit? A MILLION POUNDS I TELL YA!" She lets outs a laugh. "We were absolutely ecstatic when we found out! I mean...you were always a problem in our family. Uncaring, selfish, bitchy and so on. So we were like.. why not?" She says, smiling like a fool. "An-"

"I don't give a shit" I say in a lazy voice. "Do you?" I turn to the bucket, then look back at her. "Bucket says no"

She rolls her eyes, giving me a dirty look before smiling again.

"Anyway, imagine what I could use the money for..." She says, her smile now open mouthed, poking her cheek with her index finger in thought.

"Pay for university, branded clothings-" she lifts up each finger as she lists on what she'll do with the money, while I swing my head right then left repeatedly like a tick-tocking clock, showing my careless attitude.

"–pay for my future house- or shall I say mansion!" She giggles before continuing.

"Designer bags, pedicures-"

This fricking girl..

"If money is what you find happiness in, than you'll always be poor." I quote, shaking my head. It's by NF 'Remember this'.

"Huh?" She snaps out of her daze, looking down at me.

"Nothing." I sigh. "Have fun with the money." I smile, before looking away.

I can tell Heidi's shocked when silence emerges the both of us. I could see her frowning with her brows furrowed from the corner of my eyes.

"Why are you so calm about this?" She frowns. "You seem so different. It's weird.." she frowns.

"Yeah? A bit like you that day when you passed your music lesson right?" I roll my eyes.

When the silence becomes unbearable I peel my gaze off the ground and look up at her. A deep frown is etched on her features with her eyebrows furrowed and her head tilted. Studying me.

I open my mouth to speak but the door flings open, banging against the wall and in walks dumb and dumber.

Yup. My parents.

Their eyes go to Heidi and then come down to me, a smirk slowly forming.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~