22: Escaping Inmates

Emma's P.O.V

Its been eight months since the farm was over run. Lori's due about any day now, she looks like she is about to pop. We haven't had any loses since the farm, well theres Andrea who got left at the farm but no one saw her go down. I've managed to deal with and get over my guilt. I realize my mistakes and I'm hoping they're forgivable.

Over the past eight months everyday has been practically the same. Raid a house, kill a couple walkers, find nothing in the house, talk about where we're going next which we've stuck to the same circle of route for the most part of these eight months, and then we move on.

Carl and I are still close, we just don't get to talk as much and be young anymore. We are constantly running and killing walkers.  Which I don't mind, I can't explain why but I kinda like it. I think it's because I'm being useful. The thing that does bother me is how much we risk our lives nowadays. Carl and I have saved one another's life too many times to count.

We just left a house, Carl was about to eat dog food and I'm glad Rick stopped him. We were practically forced to leave when a small herd of walkers came to the house. Now we're stopped in the middle of the road all of the adults are discussing where we're gonna go next, Lori is in a car, Carl, Beth, and I are keeping watch for walkers.

Beth and I are watching the same spot so I decide I'll make use of myself. "Beth, cover for me. I'll be back before they can realize it. Keep this between you and I unless I come back with news." I whispered. She nodded in agreement.

I disappeared off into the woods, I keep seeing signs that say, "Hitchhikers may be escaping inmates". There has to be a prison around here somewhere. With that thought I heard a twig snap behind me. I turn around to see three walkers. I only have two bullets, lovely. One shot, one walker is down, two shots, another one is down. I approach the last one and take the handle of my gun and bash the walker's head in. I turn around to see a big fence, that looked like a prison fence. I ran towards it, I see a prison with walkers roaming the yard, it looks completely untouched though. We could take the courtyard by tonight, then if Rick thinks we should we can take over the actual building.

I found a prison. Everything is gonna be okay, Lori will be able to have her baby and everyone else will be able to have shelter. I run the fastest that I ever have back to the road where the group was.

"Hey guys!" I shouted as I reappeared from the woods, still running.

Everyones attention was brought to me.

"I found a prison! Just through the woods a little, we can all live there, Lori can have her baby there and no walkers will get in. It hasn't been touched, theres walkers inside but those were just the inmates and guards. We don't have to be on the run anymore." I said.

"Its too risky, we don't have enough ammo. It wont work." Daryl said.

"C'mon Rick, please, we have to look at it at least." I begged.

Rick still didn't say anything.

"C'mon Rick please, if theres anything out there for us its that. Please just look at it. We don't have anything better to do, we've been stuck goin' in the same circle for like eight months now. Please." I continued to beg.

"Okay, you heard the girl. We're going to the prison everyone." Rick said finally agreeing.

Everyone packed up and we went on to the prison. We found the right path to it, which wasn't that hard.

When we got there we cut a small hole in the fence that everyone slipped through, it was resealed with some wire that Daryl had on his bike. Rick began composing a plan. He sent Daryl, Carol, T-Dog, Carl, Maggie, Glenn, and I to distribute ourselves between two guard towers. Lori, Beth, and Hershel were to stay within the fences. Rick was gonna run for the gate.