51: My Everything

Emma's P.O.V

I looked at them shocked for a moment.

"I'm Emma Dixon." I said in a speechless way.

"Well, Emma. We've seen what you can do and I think you're the perfect candidate to help us get Eugene there. What do you say? Are you in?" Abraham asked.

I tried to speak, all of this at once was too much. The words just wouldn't come to me, no matter how hard I tried.

"I-I can't. Plus, you've only just met me." I began.

"Well, why the hell not? You're out here all alone." Rosita questioned.

"The world needs saved, and we want you to help us. How can you turn that down?" Abraham added.

"Well, as thrilling as that sounds, I have a family I need to get back to. I have a boyfriend I need to get back to." I said.

"Kid, both you and I know that you're not gonna find them alive or as one of those undead pricks. If you haven't noticed the whole world has gone to shit. You either come with us or you get yourself killed trying to find them." Abraham retorted. This made me mad, but I know he's wrong. He just has to be.

"They might be dead, but I need to know. I will go through and kill every walker I have to until I find them... alive or dead. And, I know very well that the world is shit. But without them, I'm shit. I need them in my life, they make it so much better. The things I'm capable of doing when someone gets in the way of me and them, would surprise you. We've all done things we're not proud of, I'm sure of it. But without them, I'll just be a lost sole. No good to you, the country. The world. Without them, I'm a monster. You don't want my help." I said.

"Oh, well isn't that just the sweetest damn thing I ever did hear. Look kid, you need to open up your eyes and look at the world. It's dead. They're dead. You help us, and maybe if some of them survived, which is highly unlikely, you might find 'em." Rosita said, clearly irritated.

"It's not like you need my help. I'm only fourteen. I serve no value nor purpose to any of you. You don't need me. You'll get along without me... You've made it this far without me." I said while turning away and walking off.

"Listen, I'm not letting you go off and get yourself killed so turn around, get into the truck, and come help us save the world." Abraham said.

I turned around and did as he said, I was never gonna win that argument. I still need them in my life, Abraham, Rosita, and Eugene will quickly learn of the person I am without them and sooner or later they'll send me off. I know so, they won't want me around.

"Where am I sitting?" I asked as I turned around.

Abraham grew a huge grin on his face.

We all piled into this huge army type truck. Yet, we all decided it was too small for all of us.

"I'll sit in the back." I suggested.

They all agreed to it.

"Abraham, you're driving. Emma, I'll go in the back with you." Rosita said.

Rosita and I got into the trunk of the truck. There was supplies tied up back here. I wish there was a blanket because of the cold night air, but since there's not I just ball myself up.

"You know you didn't have to do this, right?" I began.

"I know, but you were also forced to join us, the last thing you should have to do is sit back here alone." She retorted.

I sighed and that kind of ended our conversation for a minute or two.

It was still freshly dark outside. I looked up at the stars. The stars reminded me of Carl, not recently though. When we were younger. Before we had to do all of the things we have now. Before we had to kill. Memories begin coming back to me. The first that comes back is the night at the farm. Carl and I just laid in the grass, looking at the stars. I would like to say without worry, but that's not true. I just remember falling asleep next to him, being able to cuddle up to him. No worries about anyone else coming in between us, just him and I, best friends.