67: Alone

Carl's P.O.V

Dad and the others had just got back. He approached me as I was behind the church. To be honest, I was trying to avoid Valerie.

"Hey, Tyreese said you'd be back here." Dad said. "Come on out, we found food. A lot of it."

"Good." I replied.

"What is it?" Dad asked.

Causing me to explain what I was looking at.

"Those scratches. They're deep. Like knives or something. Someone was trying to get in." We just stayed there for a second looking at them. Then another thing I had found crossed my mind. "I found something else." I said, queueing him to follow me.

"And I don't know what happened, but whatever it is, we can handle it. Doesn't mean Gabriel is a bad guy for sure, but it means something." I said, showing him the words 'YOU'LL BURN FOR THIS' carved into the side of the church.

---------LATER ON, IT IS NOW DARK OUTSIDE-----

"Have you seen Daryl, Carol, or Emma?" Dad asked me as food was being set out for everyone.

"Not since daylight. Something about going to get water, supposedly they'd be back soon, but I guess that wasn't the case." I said.

"I'm sure they're fine, they'll be back soon. They're three of our best, I know for a fact they can handle themselves. How are you holding up, you know, not knowing how Emma is?" He said, I never knew he was okay with the fact Emma and I were together, I didn't think he was happy about it, I thought he just let it happen.

"He'll be fine. Until they come back, he's got me to keep him company. Either way, its not like Emma is a necessity. I wouldn't believe our luck if they somehow miraculously came back without her." Valerie said.

I didn't look at her. I didn't want to. I saw Dad gave her a look that I just can't describe. Its sort of confused, but its also intimidating.

Dad walked away, and Valerie came up closer to me and put her arm around me.

I moved her arm from around me and began walking toward the door.

"What're you doing, Grimes?" She asked me, I stopped because of what she called me. "If Emma's gone, then we can finally be together, and we won't have to deal with her sorry ass."

I'm still surprised she's saying this in front of everyone, and no one has said anything. I could tell they've all stopped what they're doing, just watching what was happening.

"Don't call me that." I said blankly.

"What? Grimes?" She still asked.

I nodded. "And don't call her that." I said, turning around.

She shrugged.

"You just can't get over the fact that you can't get us to break up. You don't have to trash her, or her name. She's not even here to defend herself. Back in school, what did she do to you? Absolutely nothing. What you did to her is a whole different story. You did all of that not knowing the whole story of anything. You and everyone else just got a kick out of it. So yeah, even if she is gone and doesn't come back for whatever reason, I still wouldn't choose you. Even if it meant you'd stop, because I love Emma. Emma's been there for me through everything, every time I've needed her she's been there. I don't want to lose her, I would do anything for her. I am completely in love with Emma, and you sure as hell aren't gonna change that. So how about you do all three of us a favor, and just leave Emma alone." I argued before walking out the doors.

Not too long after, Dad came walking out the door, I was sitting on the steps and he sat with me.

"Hey, Carl." Dad said.