84: Whistle

Emma's P.O.V

After the little intervention everyone held for me, I remembered almost everything from when the apocalypse started. There are a few things I'm still trying to figure out, though.

"Hey guys, just wondering, but where am I staying tonight? Do I need to go back?" I asked.

"You can stay wherever you want. This house is ours, your dad typically stays here, too." Rick explained.

I nodded.

Everyone went back to their conversations. I didn't have anything to do so I eavesdropped on different conversations.

"Right now, it's safe to say she's a loose cannon. You gotta watch out for her." Abraham said, to Carl.

My head rushed. I wouldn't ever hurt any of these people. I could never. I was almost stuck in a trance, that is, until someone approached me.

"Hey." Carl said.

I looked up at him, in hidden shock for a moment.

"Hey." I smiled.

"So, do you really not remember me?" Carl asked.

Inside, I screamed yes... but on the outside, I couldn't say that. "See, you're familiar... like, I know your name... I know your face... but I don't remember dating you."

"What about the looking up at stars thing from the farm?" Carl asked.

"What about it?" I retorted.

"You said you remembered it." Carl accused.

"I do, but what does that have to do with anything?" I said.

"Do you remember any other details?" Carl asked.

"Barely. It hurts to remember any of this." I said.

"What?" Carl asked.

"It hurts my head... it kills my head." I explained.

We stood there in awkward silence.

"Was it serious?" I asked, I already knew the answer, but I wanted to hear his definition of an answer.

"Kind of, we were... we are young, but we told one another we loved each other. I know both of us meant it. You were my first kiss, my first love. For a real long time you were my everything. I thought you were dead, and I'm really glad you're back... extremely glad you're back." Carl explained.

"All because I happened to be in the wrong part of the hospital at the wrong time..." I mumbled.

"What was that?" Carl asked.

"Don't worry about it." I said. I could physically feel my heart breaking.

I gulped, "I hope to see you again soon, it'd be nice to get to know you again." I smiled. "I'm gonna go talk to some of the others."

I left him there. It hurts to think about all of it. I immediately approach my dad.

"Hey." I said.

He focused his attention to me.

"How'd it go with Carl?" He asked me.

"Let's not talk about that." I spoke.

"Well, then, what's up?" He asked.

"When do I need to leave? What if I don't want to leave?" I spoke.

"Then you don't have to." He replied.

"What about the people back where I'm from? They're not good people... you know that." I explained.