44: Blood and Mucus

Emma's P.O.V 

I heard Hershel going around shutting everyone's doors. I know what its for, just so if someone turns, they can't get out and attack anyone. With everyone's door he shut, he told them all something different, although, it always ended the same, "I'll be back in an hour." 

A man fell to the floor and began seizing and chocking on his own blood. As this happened, everyone began coming out of their cells.

He died, chocking on a combination of his own blood and mucus. 

Hershel picked up his knife, he noticed everyone was looking at him and he couldn't do it. I personally think it was a combination of everyone looking at him and just not having done it yet. 

I stayed at my spot on the floor next to my mom's cell. 

"Everyone, get back in your cells." Hershel said. No one listened. "Go on, get back in your cells." He said once more. Again no one listened. 

Sasha went and got a gurney. "Come on, lets get him on this." She said. 

'I've had reports of it happening in as little as two minutes to as long as eight hours.' Played over in my head, from way back at the C.D.C with Dr. Jenner. What if he's one of those two minute cases, what if it happens quicker? 

I decided to take matters into my own hands. 

I got up, grabbed my knife, and stabbed the already dead man in the head.

"He warned you to get back into your cells. He's been trying to hide it from you guys... but truth is, I know you guys aren't stupid. You all know what happens... whether you've seen it or not remains a mystery to me... but this is the world we live in now, and we're gonna have to learn to accept it. We can't hide from it, not if we're gonna survive. I'm done trying to hide it, its just a matter of life now whether you want to accept it or not." I said and walked back to where I was sitting. 

Hershel took the man out and I began to go around and apologize to everyone for what they had just seen. 

Hershel's P.O.V

After Emma took out that man, I went and took him out of the cell block. Sasha helped me get him onto the gurney. 

While I was out there, Rick saw me. We had a small talk, what he said really motivated me to keep going. 

When I walked back in, I noticed Sasha had passed out on the floor so I immediately went to her and began looking at her. 

When I did that, I completely neglected everyone else. I knew Emma was in no shape to do anything right now, she's a short fuse, it's not a good idea. So, I figured it was best to tend to everything myself.

Rick's P.O.V 

Maggie and I were putting wooden posts up against the fence where the hoard of walkers are. 

"I just talked to your dad... He looks good, all things considered." I said. 

"If Carl were sick would you be up there with him?" She asked, completely avoiding my comment. 

"If I thought I could help." I replied. 

"You don't think I can help?" She asked. 

Before I could answer a walker on the ground reached through the fence, grabbed my ankle, and pulled me to the ground. 

Maggie, thinking quickly, grabbed an axe and cut off its hand. 

"I'm just glad you're out here with me." I finally answered.