71: Floor Seven

A/N: I'm updating the rest unedited. I really want to get this book published. :))

Emma's P.O.V

I was taken to the hospital alongside Carol, that is, until we actually got there. I had to be put into a separate room and wait for the person in control to come talk to me. I guess, since this isn't usually how it happens, the circumstances were different for me.

I'm okay as long as Carol is getting help. I know Dad and the others will come get me. I'm confident in that. They will get all three of us.

I was placed in a dark room. I wish I was one of those people who were soothed by complete darkness, but I wasn't. I was practically crapping my pants, I didn't know who or what was in that room with me at anytime.

I sat there, taking deep breaths, doing my best to stay calm as the lights turned on. It was as if a weight was miraculously lifted off of my shoulders.

A woman dressed in a police uniform walked in.

"Hi, so I hear you're one of the new ones, brought in courtesy of Gorman." She said.

"Hello, yeah. That seems to be the case. Whatever you need me to do, I'm here. I'll earn my keep and whatever else you want me to do on behalf of my mom." I explained.

"That seems like it would be satisfactory, just thought I should let you know, if you're mom doesn't show signs of improvement by tomorrow night, we're going to have to pull the plug." She explained.

I took a deep, slow breath.

"I understand that can be a lot to hear, but she really is in the best care you can get nowadays." The woman said.

"I just hope she pulls through." I said, shakily.

"Me too. I'm sorry, but I don't believe I caught you or your mom's name." She said.

"Oh, I'm Emma and my mom is Carol, and yours?" I pushed, trying to weasel my way into her group, first step, getting to know her.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I'm Officer Dawn Lerner, I run this place. I run a tight ship, but only because its necessary. My first priority is keeping my officers happy so they go out for me consistently. Thats the only reason I'm allowing you to stay, Gorman seemed to be very enthusiastic that you stay. Also, can I have you and your mother's last name?" She stated.

"Peletier." I said without hesitation. "So, what do I need to do first?" I asked.

"First, you can't wear those street clothes in here. Though nothing appears to be on them, you must wear the outfits we provide. Your clothes will be held in safekeeping, if I ever find it suitable you leave." She explained.

"Okay, how do I get this outfit?" I asked.

She stood up and walked out, coming back almost immediately.

"Change into those, then walk up the stairs till you get to floor seven. I will be there to show you to your new room. I can't let you stay in the same room as your mom, no one rooms together, no exceptions. Your room will be right next to another young girl's. Her name is Beth, she's just getting the swing of things herself." Dawn told me.

I nodded.

Knowing that I would finally see Beth again made my stomach drop. I finally get to see her again, man, I have some stories for her.

Being all changed, I walked out of the room and to the stair well. I was on floor four, not too bad, at least I don't have to climb seven flights.

I sighed and began walking up.

When I walked out of the stairwell, I came across Dawn.

"That was fast." She remarked. "In order to stay long, you must submit yourself to a full exam performed by the doctor, nothing bad, just a blood test followed by the basics." Dawn said.