33: The Three Letters

Emma's P.O.V

Rick was talking to us about how we're going to war. I know I should be scared because The Governor has a whole town, but how many of them actually have experience shooting a gun. All of our people have tremendous amounts of experience with guns and are all pretty good shots. I mean, I'm scared, but probably not as scared as I should be. I have faith in our people.

Rick then finished his talk about war, which I paid attention to very closely. I walked off and went to stand watch, since it was my turn.

I heard a door open and close. Not too long after I heard the same door open and close once more.

I hear talking and I can tell its Rick and Hershel. I'm just doing my job out here which is standing watch but I don't think they knew I was because they began talking about something I don't think I was supposed to hear.

"The Governor says we can stop this all if I hand over Emma and Michonne." Rick said.

"And what do you think about that?" Hershel asked.

"I can't give him them. He'll kill Michonne. He says Emma will go back to her mother but she has Daryl here. Theres also a scenario where Emma wont even go back to her mom, what if he does the same thing he did last time to her? What if he kills her? I can't just hand them over. The other day Carl told me he thinks Michonne is one of us. If I hand over Emma, it'll just rip Carl apart, and don't even get me started on what Daryl would do." Rick said.

"So, your guts telling you not to hand them over. Listen to yourself, Rick. Your 'gut feelings' have gotten us this far already." Hershel said.

"Yeah, but what if I do hand them over. Then I could save everyone here." Rick said.

"I think you should do what you think would be right for all of us. These people will stand behind you no matter what you do." Hershel said and then he hobbled away on his crutches.

I don't blame Rick for considering handing us over, I would do anything to save these people, give them a chance to live to fight another day.

What if I just leave on my own? That would save Rick from having Carl and Daryl mad at him. Thats what I'm gonna do, maybe if he gets one of us he wont need the other, maybe he'll consider holding his end of the deal. I don't know, maybe I can just talk him down, which sounds impossible but its worth a shot. Maybe I can tell the whole town who he really is.

I'm out here on watch for a while longer so I take this opportunity to plan out what I'm gonna do.

I'm gonna start by packing up all my stuff that I'm gonna take with me. I'm then gonna write a note saying why I left, which wont say anything about over hearing Rick and Hershel. I'm somehow gonna give Daryl and Carl a hug goodbye without them knowing its a goodbye hug. I'm gonna leave them each a more personalized letter. Lastly, I'm gonna wait till nighttime, when everyone besides the person on watch is asleep and sneak out. I'll just sneak out through the hole in the side of the prison like I did last time. That is how I'm gonna save everyone at the prison.

Once I conclude that, that is my plan Carol comes out to relieve me of watch. I don't have that much time till it gets dark so once I go in, I begin working on it.

I go in my room and begin packing up my things. Carl walks by and sees me doing so and asks, "Hey Emma, what're you doing?"

"Oh, I'm just packing up my things, making my cell a little cleaner. It was starting to seem really messy." I lied. 

He nodded.

That hurt me the most. I just lied to him. I can't help it though, I just want to save him, make sure he stays that way too.