39: Quarantined

Emma's P.O.V

I had just told Carl I liked him. I thought for sure it was obvious, though. How had he not known? I guess the same way I never knew he liked me. We made it really obvious to each other now that I think about it, the "I love you"s and the kisses. How had I not known? 

I'm really glad I have him though. Throughout everything, if I lost him to Emily, that would've been the worst. 

This all gets me thinking though. What would my dad think if Carl and I began dating? Would he be okay with it? Am I even allowed to date? I need to talk to him, this isn't a conversation I want to particularly have, and I'm most definitely not talking to my mom. As of right now, nothing is gonna change. 

Carl and I are still only best friends. It may be out to each other that we like one another, but either way, nothing is all that different.

The board of people we have that run our little community have decided that anyone who shows symptoms of being sick shall be quarantined in Cell Block A, once home to all the people of Death Row. 

So far, only two people have needed to be put into Cell Block A, Karen and David, both originally residents of Woodbury. They didn't get put into that cell block yet, it still is being cleaned out. Currently, they're in the tombs in some cells down there. 

Though, I don't know either of them all too well, they seem to be really nice. Karen has helped me with small things many times and David, he has taught me to cook on the grills we have here. I don't mean to brag, but thanks to him, I can make a mean piece of meat. 

Beth has agreed to stay with Judith in a quarantined area. Hershel and another man who joined us named who I know by Dr. S, have agreed to sit in with the infected ones. 

With no relevancy to me, Carol has informally adopted two young girls, Lizzie and Mika. Their dad died when Patrick turned and caused a whole ton of issues in that cell block. 

I haven't seen my dad since the outbreak was revealed. Right now I'm sitting on a bench in the courtyard just reading some random book. It wasn't that interesting though. Just an over told story, girl meets man supposedly coincidentally, although you and I know it wasn't a coincidence, and they end up falling in love. It wasn't all that random, I got it from the library, I thought it would be better than it is. 

Either way, it doesn't really matter, I'm not comprehending anything I'm reading. I'm just thinking too much. About everything, about my mom, my dad, Carl, Emily, Jarod, Patrick. I hate to say this but my life would just be so much easier if I had died the day my mom stabbed me with a bottle and left me for dead. 

I wouldn't have to worry about any of this, especially the end of the world. 

This isn't me saying I want to die, thats the last thing I want. I just want everything to be easier. I just want to be able to see my mom and dad normally. Not with my mom all drunk and in the mood to abuse me. Theres nothing wrong with my dad, I just wish it was in our own home and not a prison. I want to be able to be with Carl with no worries of anything. Not as a girlfriend because I don't care about that as much. I just want to be his friend. I want to be able to hang out with my best friend and not worry about it being the last time I see him or any of my family. I also don't want to have to worry about being threatened for hanging out with him, especially not by some stupid girl who is threatened by how close him and I are because she has a crush on him. 

My thoughts are quickly interrupted by a sense of commotion close by. I run around trying to find it and I do. I see two burned bodies along with Carol, Daryl, Rick, and a very upset Tyreese. Its pretty clear who the two bodies belong to, Karen and David. Tyreese is clearly mad, and its understandable but he's also taking it out in the wrong way.