75: Not Dead Yet

Emma's P.O.V

I walked over to where everyone was gathered by her. Giving her medical attention. Dr. Edwards had come outside now.

"She gonna live?" I asked barely audible.

"She'll be fine, aside from the bruising that was caused. Other than that, she'll pull through quickly. She should be waking up anytime now." Dr. Stevens said.

I walked away, over to a fire truck that was in the yard, and I climbed up on top of it and laid up there.

I just looked up into the sun, I heard foot steps coming up the ladder.

"Find another spot, this ones already taken." I said.

The foot steps kept growing closer and closer. I grasped the knife tighter, I don't know why, its not like I was capable of hurting any of the people that were here. I couldn't hurt anyone here, that is, besides myself. I love them all too much. The only person I could hurt is Valerie. I've really debated hurting myself, but I know it would hurt the people here too much, so I just keep dragging myself along.

Someone came up and I turned around to them, it was Rick.

"What do you want?" I snapped.

"None of us are mad at you." He said.

"What're you talking about?" I asked.

"None of us are mad at you for that. At least I'm not. She was talking about how she was going to fight you and win, also winning Carl over in the process." Rick said.

"And you guys just let her?" I pushed.

He nodded.

"Why? You could've stopped her. She kissed Carl. Lied and told me they did things... I didn't believe her, but the audacity she had was gut-wrenching. It honestly hurt me, but I'm not going to let anyone else know that. She just made really personal digs, even about my dad... Wait, why aren't you mad at me? I almost killed her." I said.

"The exact reasons you just said. Not to mention she gave you a hard time before all of this. She even gave you a hard time to us when you weren't around. She wanted to fight you, she got what she wanted. Plus, I seen it only fair that someone put her in her place. I know you can fight. I felt it was only right you were the one to do so." Rick said.

"So, all of that was... staged?" I asked.

"No, I'm sure you know the fight was real. It just wasn't unexpected. Daryl gave it the okay. He's your dad, if it was okay with him it was okay with me. You're my family, Emma. I wouldn't let anything happen to you that I know you couldn't handle." He said.

"Thank you. Same goes for you. I might be young, but you know I can hold my own. You ever need any help, I'm your girl." I said.

He smiled and took a seat on the roof beside me, this way I knew we'd be having a full on conversation.

"Thank you for coming back for us." I said.

"It was nothing. Like I said, you're my family. I know you would've done it for me. Plus, you mean the world to Carl. It wasn't the main reason, but it was a big help, he wouldn't have ever forgave me if we didn't." Rick said in a light hearted way.

I chuckled along with him.

"Don't let whatever she said mess things up between the two of you." He began.

I gave him a sort of questioning look.

"I know the things she said weren't true. I know you know they weren't. It wasn't his fault what she said or did. I know he loves you. I know you love him. You two are too good for her lie to come between you two." Rick said.