13⇢first intrusion

"Hyung, are you okay?"

Jimin was worried for his older brother or more like confused, which was something Jinyoung wasn't used to. Jinyoung never came back at him to exact revenge for his bike and split lips. Taehyung too leans into their space, gobbling large chunks from an apple in his hand.

"Yes, hyung you look sad. Did you have a fight with your girlfriend or what?"

Kim Taehyung has started going to school along with the Park brothers. He has settled comfortably in their home too, spending more time at the Park mansion than his own address.

"He doesn't have a girlfriend," Jimin presses his voice to remind Taehyung at which Taehyung chews at his lips.

"Damn, I forgot."

Rolling down the window at his side, he chucks away the well-eaten remains of the apple.

Jinyoung doesn't answer. He pretends to be alone in the ride and keeps his constant stare directed out of the window. He finds Taehyung a notch more annoying than Jimin, a not so interesting hybrid of Jooheon and Kihyun's personalities, loud and eccentric. Most of the times he would pluck words out of different dimensions, throw them together to form an absurd sentence which never has any relation to situations at hand. That makes Jimin laugh, crinkles appearing at the corners of his eye just like his. On other days, Jinyoung would have hatched a plan to kick Taehyung out of his sight forever but he was not in the right state of mind. So he let the world turn on its axis.

Jimin repeats his question but it takes him no time to accept that Jinyoung wasn't about to answer him. So he resumes chatting up with Taehyung about some hip new EDM track they were binge listening to.

Jinyoung was surviving somehow. Living through days and nights of people pointing out how his health was deteriorating, wanting to uppercut anyone showering him with fake sympathy. He usually tunes out during monotonous classes, with no control over his mind which keeps going back to one boy. Jaebum hasn't changed. He shows up in class, takes a seat behind Jinyoung and kills him involuntarily, like slow poison. And Jinyoung barely hangs onto the reality, tries to accept his fucked up fate and fails repeatedly.

As the seasons oscillates around them in pinwheeling colors, as days stretch into weeks, Jinyoung is only capable of viewing the world in shifting shades of monochrome. He suffers every second in the void he has pushed himself into. There is no hope, no escape, no recovery, and nothing but despair for a company.

Mark is always coming around, moving his desk closer to Jinyoung's after each class, staying true to his word, trying to help Jinyoung in any way he can.

"How long are you going to be like this Jinyoung? Why won't you tell what's bothering you?" Mark would say the same thing often.

As usual, Jinyoung keeps mum. Then Mark gives up on him each day only to return again and express concerns, tries his best to get Jinyoung to talk.