33⇢first fight (ii)

There is an open textbook in front of Jinyoung and he plans to do something productive with it. But he can't.

It has been three days into his decision of blocking out Jaebum until Jinyoung realizes he was teetering on the brink of depression. For once, he was praying desperately for Jaebum to speak about the only undisclosed topic of his life before Jinyoung cracks again. Sitting on his bed, he missed the small clumsy room of Jaebum and how the air was always heavy with the scent of sex and sweat. He ached for the touch he has been deprived off for three days which basically felt like an eternity. There has been no texts or calls. Jinyoung grits his teeth to ignore Jaebum's slightest attempts to strike up a conversation with him in school. The tension grows between them and Jinyoung can almost sense Jaebum's resentment from afar.

Rolling around on his bed and then shoving aside the books he had attempted to read, Jinyoung picks himself up and heads downstairs.

He grabs a bucket of half-eaten blackcurrant ice cream from the fridge and pokes a spoon through it. Jimin will probably blow up after finding out his empty stock but Jinyoung didn't care. Absentmindedly, he puts a spoonful into his mouth only to revisit their botched up ice cream date. He feels like crying and decides to go back to his room for that purpose only. He didn't want his father to waltz in unannounced and then find his son sobbing in the dining area. Jinyoung leaves the ice cream to melt out in the open, discards the spoon and approaches the staircase.

The doorbell rings loud, echoing through the wide foyer. Jimin jumps down the steps even before Jinyoung can turn around and open the down.

"Must be TaeTae," Jimin announces as he brushes past his hyung.

Jinyoung isn't in the mood to hear the ridiculous video game sound effects coming from the next room. He wants to spend some time in complete silence but with Jimin and his friend Taehyung in the house, it seems impossible. With a blankness on his face, Jinyoung decides to retreat to their sprawling backyard.

"Yes, are you looking for someone?"

Jinyoung catches Jimin's question and the answer that follows up.

"Umm, Jinyoung. Is he available?"

Jinyoung turns on his heels abruptly only to find Jaebum looking over Jimin's petite frame. Their eyes meet and Jaebum doesn't need Jimin's answers anymore.

"Yeah but I am sorry, who are you again?"

Jinyoung can imagine Jimin's frowning even without looking at him. He takes quick steps to stand right behind his brother. Jaebum notices the similarities in their features watches Jimin from a close quarter for the first time. The crinkles around his eyes, full lips, voluminous head of hair it was all too similar to his hyung except he was vertically a couple inches shorter.

"A friend of your hyung's," Jaebum flashes a small smile and Jimin finally feels the presence of his older brother behind him.

He steps out from between them as Jinyoung struggles to control the expressions on his face. His jaws are clenched too tightly and he is afraid it might permanently lock in place. Jaebum looks like an island in the midst of a storm-stricken ocean. Jinyoung wants to swim towards him as fast as he can but there is a Jimin sized blockade in his way.