72⇢ first resurface

Something was up. Jinyoung couldn't put his finger on it but he knew Jaebum and Mark hanging out together like age old buddies wasn't a natural sight. But Jinyoung had no idea what was going out there and he trusted his boyfriend to tell him about it all when the time is right. So there he was, on house arrest, until who knows for how long. Jinyoung tried his luck a couple more times to slide out of his home but Park Jihoon wasn't having any of that. The patriarch of the Park household was being extremely cautious lately after witnessing his son doing things he couldn't even imagine to begin with.

That led Jinyoung's mother to come out of her shell and make attempts to communicate with her son, something which she hasn't actively done before in all these years.

She found Jinyoung sulking in his room while trying to distract himself with a book Jaebum had brought him several months ago. She knocks first, looking timid and shrunken, a steep contract to the personality of his father. At first Jinyoung can't believe it but he blinks hard and finds his mother smiling at him.

"Eomma?"

"May I come in Jinyoungie?" she says, still hesitating by the door.

Jinyoung recalls how his pet name, overused by one and only Jaebum, was actually given by his mother. That also shows him the gap in their mother and son relationship which has formed over the years due to severe miscommunication or lack of communication. Jinyoung and Jimin had a mother just by records whereas the whole of their responsibility was handled by their father and his mother would never protest against her husband.

A dutiful wife but not a perfect mother.

But as Jinyoung keeps looking at her face longer than ever, he forgives her in his heart. At times he wondered, if his mother had someone equivalent to Jaebum by her side, speaking against his father's stupid oppressive commands would have been easier for her. But she has always been like that and at this age, Jinyoung didn't expect her to change either.

"You don't have to ask for my permission. Come in."

Jinyoung's mother steps in. A middle aged woman who has always been in the shadow of her husband and who has never quiet fulfilled her exact duties as a mother. With each step of hers towards Jinyoung's bed, he goes back to thinking how his father would react if he sees his wife getting a good treatment from their son whereas all Park Jihoon gets from him is nothing but curse words.