51⇢first trauma (i)

"Sorry to trouble you Mr. Park, regarding how difficult it must have been for you to come here..."

"Can we just get to the point already sir?" Park Jihoon sits upright in his chair. His walking stick rests by his side.

The principal is an older man, much older than Jihoon. And Jihoon can judge by those aging lines on the principal's face that he was having a hard time to brief him about his son. Of course, it concerns his son, the older one in particular. Jihoon wasn't thinking much when he didn't see Jinyoung at the lunch or dinner because by then he was used to watching his moody kid acting like that from time to time. But getting an urgent call from the school was just the last thing he expected.

So Jihoon answered the summoning, walking slowly with the help of his new companion- the cane.

The principal clears his throat and proceeds to shuffle with a stack of papers on his table which he hesitantly hands over to the worried father.

"As ridiculous and explicit it may look like, I believe these belong to your son. A high school is a place where students hold grudges on each other for feeble reasons. And I think your son has fallen a victim to it in a cruel manner. When our staffs took these down from the student's bulletin board we couldn't pinpoint who put these on display but we are working on it."

Jihoon flips through the pages, reads some lines and reads them over and over again. His specs slide a tad bit down on the bridge of his nose.

"The school authority isn't concerned about the private lives of their students nor what they do at home unless it affects their performance in the form of grades and the school's reputation. Also, your son has picked a fight with another student yesterday. We don't approve bullying in the school premises nor do we support physical violence. So Park Jinyoung is a victim as well as an offender in our opinion. We had to call you because as a parent we think that you might want to have a say in this. Keeping in mind both our reputations, we have to settle this wisely don't we Mr. Park?"

When the principal stopped his myriad of complaints, Jihoon slapped the photocopied pages of Jinyoung's diary on the principal's desk. Jihoon finally realizes that his son has indeed slipped away so far out of his grip to indulge into things he didn't quite support. Especially having a romantic and sexual relationship with another boy. He didn't know who would pull a so-called prank on his son but he knew that a much-needed confrontation was required. In the next moment, Jihoon grips the armrest of his chair to calm his palpitating heart. He just might suffer another cardiac arrest and he won't even be surprised.

"Who is this Jaebum?" Jihoon asks all of a sudden, eyes still fixated on the stack of papers holding the evidence of his son's graphically described private life.

How could he not sense a single thing as a father? Jihoon was ashamed at his ability to raise a prodigal son. All the times he thought Jinyoung has changed, it was nothing but a ruse to cover up the actual reality, pull a veil in front of his eyes.