19⇢first radiance

Mark resembles a ball of sunshine on a day when the sky is overcast and gloomy. He leaps in the air, does a couple of clean cartwheels in the corridor and then throws a hand over Jinyoung's shoulder. He moves with a skip in his step. And Jinyoung becomes the first one to question him.

"Someone is very excited today," Jinyoung steers them into the right direction out of the school, which Mark seems to have jumbled up.

"Jackson is coming to visit me this weekend," Mark announces with a chirp as they make their exit together after a long day.

Jinyoung rakes his brain to find anybody he knew by the name of Jackson and then recalls Mark talking about him once. Jackson was Mark's best friend who was coming down to visit him from China.

"Oh, that's great. You guys will have a lot of fun together I bet," Jinyoung draws some comfort from Mark's infectious smile and plasters one on his own face too.

"I am totally going to introduce him to you guys and you will like him too. He is awesome."

Mark doesn't stop complimenting and glorifying Jackson Wang before boarding a bus to travel back home and even Jinyoung starts believing him to be worthy of all the praises. But he isn't exactly enthusiastic to meet Jackson or anyone in particular. Jaebum has become his sole priority and Jinyoung wasn't capable of thinking about anything else.

He rides back home with Jimin like any other day and around evening he sneaks out to meet Jaebum, with his personal diary in a protective grip. He holds it close to his chest, feels the wayward heart thrashing against his rib cage and he takes a couple of deep breaths to calm down. A short ride of taxi brings Jinyoung to a house he once visited without invitation or more precisely got kicked out right before stepping onto its threshold. But things have changed. His relationship with Jaebum has changed. They weren't strangers and Jaebum didn't look at him with disdain in his eyes anymore. Jinyoung could swear there was a radiance in Jaebum's deep-set dark orbs, which wasn't there where they first met.

Rejoicing his small achievement he stands in front of a door, knocks it twice and waits. An old woman, most probably in her early sixties, welcomes Jinyoung inside. He politely bows in front of her and introduces himself with a jolly giggle.

"Oh Jinyoung, Jinyoung. Jaebum told me you were going to be here this evening. Come in."

She leads Jinyoung by his arms into the dining space which was practically like stepping into the kitchen itself. Jinyoung scans the whole place in a short time. He notices how his whole bedroom is equivalent to these four rooms under one roof. Jinyoung doesn't look down upon it. It didn't matter to him where Jaebum came from or the condition in which he lives because he knows the truth behind it. He starts addressing the kind old lady as ajumma too. Then Jaebum pokes his head out of a room in left, Jinyoung spots him in his peripheral vision. Jaebum doesn't speak, just moves his head in a certain way to signal him.