36⇢first evil

Jaebum spotted the familiar face even before it made its way through the front door. He had to maintain his professionalism, he had to treat Jennie like any other customer. There is absolutely no way he would let Jennie give a chance to pull shit like she used to do in old times.

She looked the same as she did back in middle school. Winged eyeliners on point, lips plump with matte lipstick and her doll-like face acting as a perfect cover for the monstrosity that reigned within her. Jennie ordered a long macchiato and finally looked up from her phone to meet Jaebum's eyes.

A smile broke on her face. Jaebum pressed his lips tight to avoid cursing at her, to keep himself at bay from informing her that she had played a generous role to fuck up his friendship with Namjoon. It was evident that Jennie wasn't dating Namjoon anymore but it didn't change the fact that she had any chance of improvising as a human being.

Jennie can't change. Jaebum knew that by heart.

"Didn't expect you to become a barista one day. I thought you hated coffee," Jennie takes her order from Jaebum and willingly brushed her fingers over his knuckles. Jaebum flinches and retracting his hand immediately.

"Can I get you anything else?" he maintains a stiff tone, communicating with Jennie as normally as possible.

Jennie is amused. She clicks her tongue, giggles long enough to induce a headache for Jaebum and taps the brim of her cup with a well-manicured fingernail.

"Are we going to act like strangers now?"

"Do you need anything else?" Jaebum repeats a bit strenuously this time.

Jennie retracts her teeth behind her red lips. She takes a single sip from her cup, leaning over the counter to judging Jaebum hard from underneath her fake lashes. Jaebum was stuck. He couldn't drift off to cater to other customers because there was none. It was a slow weekday and he was bound to hold his position and tolerate Jennie before she leaves.

"Looks like you changed Jaebum but you are still as handsome as I can remember. Funny thing is, I didn't expect you to end up working trash jobs."

What she considered as trash jobs helped Jaebum pay his bills. This very trash job has been provided to him by his boyfriend. But Jennie didn't have to know about that. That girl was bad news, leaving destruction in her wake. If Jaebum could, he'd resort to his days of running away from unpleasant situations. But Jennie was a paying customer and he was duty bound to cater her with forced politeness.

"Finish your coffee and leave please."

Jennie scoffs out her coffee a bit ineptly, some spilling onto the counter which Jaebum has to wipe immediately. She is taken aback by Jaebum's words and no less infuriated too.

"That's a mighty good way to treat your customers Jaebum-ssi. I am not pleased," Jennie scrunches her nose, crossing a leg artfully over another.

"I don't give a fuck if you are pleased or not," Jaebum bites back, hands forming into a fist over the counter. He prays for other customers to show up but its noon and hardly people craved for coffee during this hour.