56⇢first journey

The road stretches ahead like a monstrous limb in front of them and Jaebum drives aimlessly for what seems like endless hours

The road stretches ahead like a monstrous limb in front of them and Jaebum drives aimlessly for what seems like endless hours. In the seat next to him, there is Jinyoung. Still deathly quiet. Jaebum has decided to put the same sweater on Jinyoung which he had once dared to take off. It had started everything. The woolen garment had memories interwoven into it as it marked the day Jaebum had first fallen out of his head looking at a shirtless Jinyoung for the first time.

Oddly enough, Jaebum had shoved in some clothes carelessly into his backpack without checking and the sweater had ended up being there. Fate has interesting ways to remind people of certain things, like what matters to them the most. The sweater told Jaebum or at least it ignited a thought in him that Jinyoung might be getting cold during the evening hours. But he won't say anything except staring vacantly, detached badly from the world spinning around him. So Jaebum slips the white knit sweater on Jinyoung.

At first, the intrepid thought of escaping with Jinyoung had seemed like the greatest idea ever but as he kept driving towards nowhere, Jaebum started getting worried. He just couldn't drive through the night with no sleep and an empty stomach. Even more than the pangs of hunger in his stomach, he was concerned about what Jimin had said and how Jinyoung has been starving himself for days. 

Food.

Jaebum decides to find something or anything to eat for the time being and with the amount of cash he had taken, there was more than enough for them to sustain a week on the road maybe. However, that wasn't the wisest idea either and with time, Jaebum realizes that he has to put his locked up brain to use as well if he really aims to help Jinyoung in any way.

He parks at a roadside, turns his face to look at Jinyoung who has fallen asleep god knows when. The seat belt fastened across his chest holds him from slumping against the window. Jaebum brings out his phone, the thing already dying due to the lack of charge but he uses the last of the battery to navigate. Staying at motels seemed to be a good option if only they had enough money. Jaebum counted the stash once again. He thinks it will work if he can avoid the motels. Also checking into a motel with a catatonic Jinyoung might spark suspicion and then it's only a matter of time before their journey ends.

Jaebum swims in confusion. He has to decide and decide quickly. So he tries to find some cheap motel for the night and think about the rest tomorrow. He has to take the risk and there is no option. The map on his phone shows that they are well out of Seoul by then and the landscape has changed drastically. There is more greenery and less concrete and Jaebum realizes that they are moving towards Gyeonggi- do. Unfortunately, the nearest motel seems to be another three-hour drive away and the fatigue has started to set in after several hours of nonstop driving.

Jaebum pulls at his hair in frustration. Torn horribly between returning Jinyoung to the safety of his home and running away with him, Jaebum suffers. But then, from the stream of consciousness, he finds a way. Jaebum realizes that they were in Gyeonggi- do and that means he is where his deceased mother came from. That also leads Jaebum to recall about the patchy pictures of a certain location.