28⇢first recovery

Jinyoung wakes up, fatigue and depression weighing down on him as he goes straight to wrap his morning routine. It takes him less than ten minutes to climb downstairs with the key of his Ducati in a tight grip. Theoretically, he expects his mother calling behind him to have breakfast and his father long gone to some business meeting as usual.

But none of that happens.

He tries to saunter out of the main door unnoticed but his father stops him, one firm hand over Jinyoung's aching shoulder. He lets Jihoon turn him around as he looks away. The sound of his harsh slap wasn't resonating within Jinyoung's ears anymore, which was not his first slap of course or the one that matters to him. He has never actually been close to any of his family members on an emotional level, so the slap doesn't quite convert him into an ideal son overnight. The pain of the impact has faded away and memories of it will too, that's what Jinyoung knew for sure.

"What's going on? Talk to me or your mother. I can tell something is extremely wrong with you and we can't help until you let us in."

Jihoon has never been a soft-spoken patriarch of his family. Whether it's his strategic thought patterns while cracking business deals or his way of enforcing order in the household, all of it was born out of his typical mindset. He believed he understood everything, that he had sufficient control over his children but he didn't, especially not on his oldest offspring.

Jinyoung's gaze stays averted from his father's bespectacled ones. He doesn't want to talk to him because he knows it's pointless. Jihoon never made a single attempt to break the ice with him in past and after last night, Jinyoung pretty much wanted to run away.

"Let me go. I don't want to talk."

Jinyoung's reply is curt and clear. He has to be with Jaebum, stay by his side because Jinyoung is the only one who he can claim as his own. A boy who is disowned by his father, who has been homeless and is still struggling to survive deserves Jinyoung's time and attention rather than his own family who never gave a shit about him until now. Jihoon's forehead creases and Jinyoung spots the same old father he has always known. The Park Jihoon standing in front of him prefers to keep his heart locked into a protective vault while taking decisions with his head.

"I can't allow this to continue day after day. You have disappointed me, son, you have disappointed me greatly," Jihoon's hand retracts from his shoulder.

Jinyoung is free to go as he believes but he also knows that his father wasn't done yet.

"I wanted you to take over this company, this empire your grandfather and I have built from the scratch. But these days you are making me rethink my plans. An irresponsible and immature boy like you is unfit to carry on the legacy," Jihoon says, sighing heavily and slowly shaking head from side to side, accepting his failure to raise a dutiful heir.

Jinyoung almost barks out a laugh on his face. Park Jihoon truly never bothered to understand his sons and what they really want in their lives.

"Look, I don't need your company. You can keep it, sell it or give it to Jimin. I don't really care to be honest," Jinyoung realizes that he sounds as lethargic as Jaebum used to when they first met. He was absorbing some of Jaebum's traits with passing time.