67⇢first homecoming

The moment Jaebum drives them back to the boundaries of Seoul, Jinyoung legit suffers a panic attack. So, Jaebum has no other option but to stop at the side of a freeway and work out ways to calm Jinyoung down. But the poor boy hyperventilates and starts crying bitterly, trying his best to disappear somewhere into Jaebum's embrace as he get's kissed and comforted. Mark has to ditch his Fiat for a while and approach to look into the matter as well.

"Hey, is everything alright?"

"No, Mark. Nothing is alright," Jaebum presses his voice and contemplates if this whole episode with Mark is an elaborate trap set by Park Jihoon to separate him from Jinyoung or not.

"Can I help somehow?" Mark stands outside the Dodge, awkwardly fidgeting with his fingers. He feels like the appropriate definition of a third wheel but he had voluntarily signed up for this and there is no backing out.

"Water, he needs some water," Jaebum finds the solution but unfortunately he had discarded all the plastic bottles back at the farm house.

"I think I have some in my car, wait," Mark runs quick to fetch a bottle out of his car and then hand it over to Jaebum.

He genuinely feels bad when he finds Jinyoung being reduced to a sobbing mess of nervous breakdown. There is a lot that Mark wants to do in order to help him out but that right and capacity is exclusive to Im Jaebum only. So he just stands and stares on as Jaebum coaxes Jinyoung to drink from the bottle.

"Are you feeling better? Jinyoungie, have some more water," Jaebum rubs his cheek and wipes his tears as Jinyoung hides his face into the crumpled up t-shirt that Jaebum wore.

"Y - Yes. I am okay," Jinyoung replies slowly.

"Well, thank god. Now we should get moving. It's getting dark already," Mark informs and prepares to slide back into his car when Jaebum calls him back.

"Mark, wait."

"Yep. Need anything else?"

"No, just... I am sorry for being rude to you. Also, thank you."

Mark bites down on his lower lips and blinks. He didn't see it coming. An unexpected apology from Im Jaebum who has always considered him some sort of culprit? Yep, Mark Tuan definitely didn't see it coming.

"Uh, It's okay. You don't have to apologize. You've been through a lot and I guess we all get cranky at times," he flashes a smile at Jaebum as Jinyoung sits up straight once again and tells Jaebum to drive.

In their respective rides, they enter the old streets they have known all along as Jaebum drives ahead and Mark follows. It's only a matter of time before they will be facing their fears and no amount of panic attack will prevent Jinyoung from confronting his father.

-

-

-

The truck finally stops in front of the Park Mansion and Jaebum can't deny that his limbs were getting cold at that point. If things go awry, he just might have to scoop Jinyoung up again and run but this time he might not get away easily. Mark could have been a great wing man up until now but there isn't much an 18 year old boy can do against someone as powerful as Park Jihoon.

He helps Jinyoung out of the truck and both of them walk unsteadily on their feet. Mark runs after them and blocks their way right before Jaebum can press the door bell with a hesitant finger. 

"Hold up. We don't really know what waits on the other side of the door so I think I should knock first. Safety measures."

Jaebum agrees with Mark's proposal and Jinyoung supports his entire body by leaning against Jaebum who skillfully handles his weight. No safety method will be effective once the door opens and Jinyoung faces his father standing in front of him. His fear isn't centered around what Park Jihoon will do to him but it's focused on what Park Jihoon will do to Jaebum. It's easier to assume that the water might have rolled way farther than expected and Jihoon knows about Jaebum's involvement.

All three of them brace themselves for the impact.

Mark presses hard on the door bell once and they wait.

By the grace of almighty, it's none other than Jimin who opens the door. But one look at his face and Mark figures out what went down in the Park Mansion more or less.

"Hyung," Jimin croaks out. 

Jinyoung looks up at his brother. If it wasn't for his whole episode of mental breakdown, Jinyoung might not have realized that he loves his brother so much. Starting from bringing Jaebum back into his life, Jimin did him favors he could never ask for. Detaching himself from Jaebum, Jinyoung goes straight ahead to hug Jimin tightly.

The whole brotherly reunion is sweet to watch and for a moment Mark and Jaebum get emotional when both the Park boys start sobbing, until they hear heavy footsteps dawning down the staircase.

"Who is it, Jimin?"

Four of them legitimately freeze.

Nowhere to hide or run. 

Jaebum is ready to fight if necessary, Mark puts his brain into overdrive, thinking about all the clever things he can say to Park Jihoon in order to minimize the oncoming disaster. Jinyoung wipes his face clean and looks over Jimin's shoulders who has started to shake like a leaf already.

"He knows," Jimin whispers close to Jinyoung's ears. "He knows about Jaebum hyung."

Jinyoung can do nothing unless his father's face materializes and then there is a whole new battle to be fought against the man who brought him to life.

It was about to get ugly.

-