68⇢first clash

"Who is it

"Who is it...?"

Park Jihoon's question is answered automatically when he steps down from the first floor, using his walking stick to support his unsteady yet heavy movements down the stairs.

He doesn't know who finds it more difficult to maintain an eye contact, the father or the son. But Jihoon can't take his eyes off Jinyoung's frame.

He is covered in clothing which Jihoon can't recognize. He can tell that it's cheap compared to the finery he has always offered to the entire family. But most importantly, Jinyoung doesn't look like his son. Might be a doppelganger, might be an imposter but definitely not the son Jihoon remembers. But then again, Jihoon remembers physical altercations with Jinyoung who was refusing to eat and was thrashing around in his room acting all crazy.

All the slaps awarded to Jinyoung, all the harsh word delivered to him in an attempt to bring him back to sanity, it bounces back to Jihoon's recently memory graph.

Jinyoung on the other hand stands at the foyer, Mark standing a few hands ahead of him and Jaebum guarding his back. Jimin steps aside because he knows it's the best thing to do at the moment.

It's pretty relevant, the way the atmosphere changes and both parties expected it fully. Jihoon wasn't supposed to be the diplomatic one and even though, Jaebum haven't met Jihoon personally, he knows where Jinyoung gets his characteristics from.

So they brace themselves for the worst.

The silence stretches to the point of suffocation and Jinyoung starts breathing heavily. They haven't even started with the verbal and possible physical battle yet and Jinyoung was already losing his shit. He feels like his father might slap him again but he doesn't want Jaebum to see it. Jinyoung knows that it will hurt Jaebum more than it will hurt him. It has always been like this, feeling each other's pain. Jinyoung was ready to die with the click of a finger if it concerned Jaebum's safety.

The relationship between the two boys has gone way farther than the singular definition of love and Park Jihoon has no idea about it.

And so it begins.

Jihoon's face is scrunched up in a mix of disgust, surprise and anger, all the emotions which gives the red flag to the four boys standing in the room with him. As the older man takes one step towards his son, Jinyoung takes one step back and Jaebum is standing right behind to interlock his fingers with Jinyoung's.

Jihoon's bespectacled eyes follow the movement like a predator and even though he can't see Jinyoung's hands behind his back intertwined with Jaebum's, the business man with his quicksilver wit adds everything up and figure out who the other dark haired boy behind Jinyoung is.

"So how was your vacation, son?"

The poison in Jihoon's words does end up affecting Mark as well. He can't imagine what it feels like to be in Jinyoung's or Jaebum's shoes. Nor does he have any idea if it was the right thing to do by bringing these two back to the lion's den but Mark holds his ground. That little second hand guilt comes back to chew at his gut as he decides to step up his smooth talking social butterfly game and do something useful.