Chapter 1: An Evolution

Author's Note: I fully admit that this chapter is pretty cringy, but so is coming out. The awkwardness of the chapter reflects the awkwardness we all feel when we finally come out of the closet. I hope you'll be willing to overlook that awkwardness and join me for this journey!

 The sun beamed through the Cyllage City Pokemon Center's window, warming the plush black couches near the door. Three Pokemon sat on the couches, waiting for their trainer: a Sceptile, a Porygon-Z, and an Eevee. Slung around the Sceptile's neck was their trainer's black messenger bag, loaded with supplies. As the Eevee basked in the warmth coming through the glass panes, the Porygon-Z sifted through the bag, digging for the silken white scarf it frequently wore. The Sceptile lazily opened an eye to peer at her teammate, the rummaging actions of the hummingbird-like Pokemon waking her from a nap.

The trio of Pokemon had waited patiently for their trainer on the couch for nearly five hours, but the blue doors in the back corner remained shut. While most trainers used the back room to change outfits, Ryan had asked his Pokemon to wait on the couch for a while before entering the room and leaving the lights off. It wasn't the first time this had happened. The previous two times were after a Black Belt called Ryan a weak trainer, and another time when he overheard a Furisode Girl had said that he and his Pokemon were 'too cute too fight'. Before, Ryan only spent a short while in the back room, but this was different.

Nurse Joy peered around the corner from her desk, then glanced at the trio with concern. "He's still in there? I hope everything is alright. Maybe one of you should check on him?" At Nurse Joy's suggestion, the Eevee's eyes snapped open, leaping from the arm rest of the couch and prancing to the shut doors. Standing on her hind legs, the vulpine Pokemon gently pushed on one door, opening it enough to squeeze through.

From the faint light coming through the doorway, she could make out the form of her trainer curled up on the short bench in the room, his back facing the door. Gracefully leaping onto the bench and climbing up by her trainer's stomach, a voice of melancholy greeted the small Pokemon, "Oh. Kyu, hey... Sorry I've kept you all waiting for so long. Are you mad?" With one hand, Ryan nervously stroked the short ponytail that he had been growing. Kyu could barely make out her trainer's face, but she saw a thin line of tears glistening. Kyu nuzzled her cheek against Ryan's arm and they stared into each other's eyes.

Reaching out with both arms, Ryan embraced Kyu, pulling her closer. The Eevee snuggled close as Ryan began to shake and she began to lick tears from his cheeks. Ryan sat up on the bench, placing Kyu on his lap. Ryan stared off into space for a moment before finally returning focus to his Pokemon.

"Kyu... do you ever want to be... something you're not?" Kyu tilted her head to one side in confusion. "I've been traveling for a long time. I've met so many people, and I'm so lucky to have made friends like you. I love raising Pokemon and exploring different regions, but something doesn't feel right. I've been thinking about this for a long time, a couple years even. I haven't figured out all the details yet, but I want to ask you all something... But first, can you get the others?" Kyu nodded, hopping from Ryan's lap to floor before running to the front.

A minute later, Kyu returned with the Sceptile and Porygon-Z. Ryan was sitting on the bench staring at a black headband in their hands. "Sherwood! Z! Hey, come in, I wanted to chat." Sherwood pulled her lush green tail into the room before closing the door and resting on her haunches. Ryan pulled an all-scarlet Pokeball out of the bag around Sherwood's neck, letting another Pokemon out into the already crowded room. A shadowy figure emerged from the Cherish Ball, a Darkrai immediately skulking into the corner. From its corner, Darkrai leaked a churlish "what do you want?"

Rolling their eyes at Darkrai's angsty comments, Ryan addressed the group of Pokemon before them. "Hey... You all know I love you, right? And... I hope you all love me too. I think I have the closest relationship with the four of you, so I wanted to talk to the four of you first. I know this is a weird question, but would you all still want me to be your trainer if I... wanted to be... someone else?"