Chapter 7: Ula'ula

Author's note: One of the new characters introduced in this chapter uses the neutral pronouns xe/xem/xyr. These pronouns are pronounced similarly to they/them/their, and are among some of the more common pronouns adopted by agender or gender-fluid individuals.

An eerie draft snaked through the overturned and raided aisles of the abandoned Thrifty Mega Mart. Ryanne tiptoed through the debris, sidestepping cans and boxes to sneak through to the back. The maze of carts, shelves, and boxes led to a large display of Pokemon plushes. One of the plushes was badly damaged, almost as if the head and torso were purposely torn from the toy. A trail of tiny cotton pieces trailed from the decimated plush to a pair of swinging doors.

With a flash, Ryanne's Lycanroc stood beside her, his barbarous smile and wild eyes expressing his eagerness to fight. Poking her head through the doors into the Thrifty Mart's back room, Ryanne could make out collages of pictures and photos on the walls. She gestured to her Lycanroc, and the duo entered. The floor of the backroom was littered with Pikachu paraphernalia. Close-up photos showed a dark-haired trainer dressed in red and white. Looking closely, Ryanne recognized the trainer as Red, a former Champion of the Kanto Region. Red had retired years back, but his powerful Pikachu was the stuff of legends.

Next to her, Ryanne's Lycanroc poked at the severed Pikachu plush piece laying on the ground. The plush wiggled, startling the Rock-type into slapping the plush into the wall. "Mr. Hyde, that was kind of an overreaction, don't you think? It's just a..." The plush lurched from its slumped-over position by the wall, waddling towards the duo soullessly. Mr. Hyde slapped the animate toy again, his large white paw striking the face with a loud thwack. The head of the plush flopped over, dragging along the ground as it continued to waddle closer.

Ryanne's Lycanroc yelped, hiding between his trainer and the exit door. "Honestly 'Hyde', you'd think you'd never seen a Mimikyu before!" Ryanne knelt down to her haunches, holding out a small biscuit from her bag. "Hi there little one! want a snack? The ragged plush nodded furiously, the plush's head freely flopping around. Tiny black arms peeked out from under the tattered edge of the fabric, taking the Shalier Sablé with both hands.

The Mimikyu swallowed the shortbread biscuit whole, jumping excitedly. Ryanne glanced around the room again, biting her cheek in thought. "You really like Pikachus, huh? More so than other Mimikyu I've seen!" Mr. Hyde moved out to sniff the disguised Pokemon. "Most Mimikyu make their own costumes, but you're wearing a plush toy's skin..."

Mimikyu's body language drooped in shame before nodding towards a box of failed Pikachu disguises. Some were misshapen, others had mismatched eyes, ears, or cheeks. Another was covered in massive ketchup stains. Ryanne pulled out a blue and grey ball with a small, yellow crescent from her bag. "What do you say little one? Would you like to come with me? You'll be well fed, and you'll make lots of friends. Plus, I can help you make a new disguise that will look ten times fancier than your current one."

Without hesitation, the Mimikyu writhed in joy and excitedly pounded the button on the Moon Ball. A beam of light absorbed the Ghost & Fairy-type. Without a single wiggle, Mimikyu was caught. Mr. Hyde howled happily at the new addition to the team. "Welcome to the family... 'Pikachu'!"

~~~~~

Some time had passed, and 'Pikachu' had grown into a proud and powerful member of Ryanne's team. Though it had taken her some time to get used to xyr unique style of battling, Pikachu had since proved xyrs worth, playing a pivotal role in aiding Ryanne in her quest to challenge the numerous Trial Captains across Alola.

Guzma stood with pride atop his stoop, his large, black throne behind him. With crossed arms, he sneered down at the trainer who dared enter his room. "Look at you small fry! You look a little too cute to challenge a real manly Captain like me. Who do you think you are?" Ryanne smirked and pushed her wire-frame glasses up the bridge of her nose.

"Who am I? I've collected every badge in Hoenn, Kanto, Sinnoh, Unova, and Kalos. I fought my way up the Sky Pillar at age 12 to summon the mighty Rayquaza. I aided Agent Looker of the International Police round up the remaining members of Team Plasma. I'm the reigning Champion of the Kalos Region, and the first transwoman to earn the title of Champion! The better question, Captain Guzma, is why don't you know who I am?"

The Bug-type Trial Captain took a step backwards in surprise. His grey eyes scanned Ryanne's silhouette, attempting to identify her. "Listen 'Pigtails', I don't care who you say you are! If you want to add a Bugnium-Z to your Z-Ring, you'll have to take me on in a Triple Battle." In three flashes of light, Guzma revealed his terrifying team of Bug-types: His Golisopod, Scizor, and a Mega Pinsir.

Twirling a pigtail in each hand, Ryanne studied the opposing team before reaching into her purse. With a determined underhand toss, three balls left her hand, another triad of flashes mirroring Guzma's. "Go Mr. Hyde, 'Pikachu', and Dredge Line. You've got this in the bag!"

With a glimmer in his cobalt blue fur, Ryanne's Lycanroc gave Guzma's team a provoking gesture. Beside him, her Mimikyu's and Dhemise's eyes gleamed mischievously. "You're on Guzma. Honki de iku ze!"

~~~~~

"Gaaaaaaaah!! Guzma! What is wrong with you?!?" cried out the former leader of Team Skull. Guzma yanked at his hair, shaking his head is disgust. He slumped to his knees and gestured to a large wooden chest in the corner. Ryanne picked up a lime green rhombus off the top of the pile. The gem had the image of a beetle in the center and glimmered like a dew-covered spiderweb.

"That , 'Little Lady', is Bugnium-Z," reported Guzma, "it imbues your Pokemon's Bug-type moves with the ferocity of a stinging Beedrill." Standing statuesque, Guzma crossed his arms in front of his face, then raised both arms like antennae. With one smooth motion, he swiped one hand up in a rising slash. "That's how you activate the Bug-type Z-move: Savage Spin-out. You should check it out for yourself sometime." The older trainer flopped back into his throne, resting his right cheek onto a balled fist.

Ryanne affixed the Z-Crystal onto her bracelet between the Psychium-Z and Rocknium-Z."Aren't you a little old to be a Trial goer?" Guzma asked her, attempting to hide his disappointment with feigned interest.

"The Alola League changed their rules Guzma, you know that. It's the same rule that allows you to be a Trial Captain after the age of 21." The Bug-type trainer angered, she had him in a corner.

"You're a sharp one 'Kid', I'll give you that. But if you think I'm going to let my old teacher Hala down, you've got another thing coming. Come face me again when you've finished the Island Challenge, and I'll let you face my most powerful team. Ask any trainer who's the strongest on Ula'ula, and they'll say 'It's ya boy Guzma!'"

Nodding her head in acceptance, she shook Guzma's extended hand to seal the arrangement. Ryanne knelt to rub the cheeks of 'Pikachu', who waited patiently at her feet. Taking a Sparkling Pokebean from her pouch, she fed her Mimikyu the shiny treat as thanks for the victory. When 'Pikachu' finished nibbling, it gleefully reentered xyr Moon Ball.

"There's just one problem with that Guzma..." She said, stirring his attention, "Once I win, people will change their tune. I can hear it now: 'It's ya girl Ryanne!'" While they both laughed at her lame quip, each knew that they would need to strive to grow stronger. The trainers in Alola were really something else, and Ryanne was glad that she could drink it all in.