Chapter 30: The Grand Showcase Part 3 (Collab with MoFlame) *LONG*

Author's Note: This is part 3 of 3 of a collaboratively written miniseries with the amazingly talented MoFlame. She's a good friend of mine, so I would appreciate if you would check out some of her work, especially her Pokémon miniseries which is (technically) a spin-off of this one :) 

-------------------------------------------

 A call went around backstage: "Two minutes till curtain!" The four remaining performers finished up their last bits of rehearsing and warming up, and moved to the stage's side entrance for their dance performance.

"Are you doing alright?" Kira asked with concern for her friend, "I've been seeing you wringing your hands for the last few minutes. You're not getting stage fright now that you're in the semifinals, are you?"

Ryanne waved her hands as if to dissuade that notion. "Of course not! Don't be ridiculous! I've just been chalking my hands." She flashed her palms, and Kira could see a light dusting of powder.

"Planning on doing some heavy gymnastics, huh?" Kira probed, teasing.

"Maybe, I'll never tell." Ryanne said with a wink. At her sides, her Mimikyu, Sylveon, and Whimsicott smirked.

"Are you planning on using all three of your Pokémon for the Dance segment?" Kira asked, surprised. "That's ambitious for a first timer. Most first time Showcase Performers I've seen only use one or two."

The Hoenn native swallowed the lump that suddenly formed in her throat "Oh...oh do they? Well, I guess I'm either well practiced or waaaaaaay in over my head." Next to her, Kyu rolled her eyes. "Now if you'll excuse me, since this round is going in reverse order, I guess that means I'm first up."

Kira embraced her friend. "Best of luck; I know you'll do great."

Ryanne and her Pokémon took their positions on stage. Kyu on her right, Kenny on her left, and 'Pikachu' resting on top of her head. "Alright everyone, we've rehearsed this. Kenny, I need you focus extra hard for this piece. And remember, if any of you forget what to do next, just look at my hands." Her trio of Fairy-types nodded in acknowledgement. "Ready everyone? Aaaand synchronize!!" Ryanne crossed her arms over one another, positioning her wrists back in close to a 90 degree angle. From the front, the angles made by her forearms and hands form a rhombus. At the Trainer's signal, the curtains parted, dim lights came on, and her music began.

The audience looked on in interest as a military-style drum beat began. 'Pikachu' jutted the jagged branch that made up xyr tail into the air, prodding in a cyclical movement. Kenny and Kyu began to prance clockwise around their Trainer, each perfectly spaced on opposite sides of her. The branch tail of Ryanne's Mimikyu glowed with a soft blue light, and holograms of blades circled counter-clockwise around xem. Ryanne's arms broke their stance and she began to interlace her fingers and hand movements, creating fluid patterns and small shifts in angles that almost seemed to create geometric patterns like a kaleidoscope. The Trainer's intricate movements moved in time to the drum music, and a deadly hush fell over the crowd.

"What is she doing?" whispered the performer named Naomi from off-stage.

Kira nodded in approval when she realized her friend's technique, and leaned closer to answer Naomi's question. "It's called 'tutting'. It's a style of street dance from the Unova Region. It was inspired by the the murals within the Relic Castle."

Unaware of the conversation about her off-stage, Ryanne continued her arm movements, weaving in a subtle signal to her two Pokémon on the ground to finally act. Kyu generated a Shadow Ball before her mouth as Kenny charged a Moon Blast on the tip of one of her nubby hands. Another subtle signal, and the duo launched their projectiles over Ryanne and 'Pikachu's head. The sphere of murky energy encapsulated the sphere of rosy luminescence, and as portions of the Moonblast were covered and uncovered by the spectral energy, rays of light streaked across the room like spotlights in the night sky.