Chapter 20: Letters from Ultra Space

Author's Note: The following chapter is written in the form of letters/messages. I wanted to show a lot of short events happening all in a short period, but didn't want all these little events to each be mini-chapters... so I took the montage approach. 

Additional Note: If you're interested in 'decoding' the Time Codes, I formatted it as "IX day month". I don't know why I did it like that... I guess I was just trying to be extra?

Alola Time Code: IX1811

Dear Mallow,

I'm sending this message from the other side of the Ultra Space portal. We just entered, but I wanted to start a series of messages letting you know our progress. Gladion had the Aether Foundation upgrade our Pokedexes with a Rotom. Based on their research, the Rotoms should give each of them enough power to send messages through Ultra Space. More updates to come, stay safe.

I love you, Ryanne

———

Alola Time Code: IX1911

Hey Mallow,

Ultra Space is so much larger than we ever imagined. The realm we previously called Ultra Space is just one pocket dimension within it. We haven't reached that pocket dimension yet, but there are a wide variety of dimensions all linked together by a kind of... interstellar highway. As we ride Lunala and Solgaleo, solar systems fly by like the lights on Nimbasa City's "Shining Roller Coaster". I wish you were here with me. It's nice to have some of my friends here with me, but I really do miss you. When I get back, I definitely want to take you on a trip there.

Love, Ryanne

———

Alola Time Code: IX2111

Hey Mallow,

It took three days, but we made it to the pocket dimension that the Nihilego came from. It appears that these Pokemon are the only inhabitants. That makes me wonder if all of the Ultra Beasts have their own unique worlds. The flora here is fascinating, resembling the bioluminescent plants of an ocean abyss. When we factor in Nihilego's jellyfish-like appearance, we have decided to refer to this world as "Ultra Deep Sea".

Before we left, Gladion supplied each of us with a few Ultra Balls. He encouraged us to catch specimens of various Ultra Beasts for the Aether Foundation to study, but also as compensation for our efforts. I'm considering catching a Nihilego... I know it's been about a month now, but I still feel bad about what happened with Cteno. I'll let you know when I decide.

Love, Ryanne

———

Alola Time Code: IX2611

Dear Mallow,

We've spent a few days in the Ultra Deep Sea now, and I was surprised to see how docile they can be around even some of our larger Pokemon, like Paul's Gyarados. They only appear to react aggressively when provoked, but we've been observing their behaviors for the better half of the past few days. Unlike Cteno, these Nihilego only seem to use their neurotoxins as a self-defense mechanism, rather than a form of mind control.

I've decided that I WILL catch another Nihilego. I have six Pokemon on me, so I won't be able to give it to her until we bring her back, but it just feels right. With a new partner by her side, Lillie can hopefully move on from this ordeal instead of having a constant reminder of her mother's actions. Kaladin says he'll help me scout out which one might make for the "cleanest" catch without disturbing the rest of the bloom. I'll keep you updated!

Love, Ryanne

———

Alola Time Code: IX2711

Hey Mallow!

I did it, I caught a Nihilego for Lillie early this morning. I don't know how long it will take to travel back to Alola, but our new friend should be there soon. I've named them Cnida, that seems like the cute, yet educated kind of name that Lillie would use. It wasn't until I was writing this message that I realized it's my birthday today... It would have been my first birthday with you, and I'm not with you. It's... been harder on me than I initially thought.

I know we've been gone over a week, without any signs of our friend, but we haven't given up hope. We'll be packing up camp and heading to another pocket world soon. We've decided to split up to cover more ground faster. Paul, Werdna, and Lilith will travel with Solgaleo; and Kaladin, Kira, and I will travel together with Lunala. Hopefully we'll be able to find more clues to her location this way.

Love, Ryanne

———

Alola Time Code: IX0412

Hey Mallow,

Another week has gone by and we've only uncovered one clue. One of the pocket dimensions "Team Solgaleo" discovered was dubbed "Ultra Plant" by Lilith. The pictures her Rotomdex sent were a little fuzzy, but they're better than nothing. According to their photos, Ultra Plant resembles a plane of mesas constantly under barrage from never-ending thunderstorms. Xurkitree appear to call this realm home, happily skipping about, attempting to be struck with lightning bolts. To be honest, it almost looks fun.

Werdna found Lillie's backpack and three of her Pokeballs inside. Frost, her Sandslash; Furawā, her Comfey; and Pixie Dust, her Ribombee, are all accounted for. The only Pokemon we couldn't find was Snowy, Lillie's Ninetales. Part of me likes to think that at least if Lillie is out here somewhere, she at least has her closest companion with her. I'll message again soon!

Love, Ryanne

———

Alola Time Code: IX0512

Dear Mallow,

"Team Lunala" (Kaladin, Kira, and I) have found a pocket world we're dubbing "Ultra Forest". Bamboo trees stretch for what looks to be miles into the sky. The canopy of the massive stalks is so thick, what little light that gets through is tinted yellowish-green from all the leaves. There are these cute yellow flowers scattered about that resemble paper dolls, Kira and I stashed a few to bring home. Wherever Lillie is, I hope it's a place as nice as this.

Hope to be home soon, Ryanne