Chapter 62: Sentencing

Pokémon Evolution Chapter 62:

Sentencing

Extending a clawed hand, freezing-cold energy surged from Darkrai's palm, smiting their 'sister' head-on with the Ice Beam. The cryogenic blast spread frost over Cresselia's fine pink and periwinkle down, encasing her in a coating of rime. Her movement and aim obscured by ice, Cresselia's Moonblast discharged, lightly singeing wild ends of Ryanne's hair as it narrowly missed her head.

Unable to maintain a telekinetic grasp under the blanket of rime, Cresselia released Ryanne, impolitely dropping the Trainer on the grass again. "You need to work on your landings," Ryanne chastised, "I'm going to get a bruised coccyx because of you!"

"Mistress, you're okay!" Darkrai cried with relief as they rushed to her side, embracing her tightly.

"Again with the contractions Darkrai? You must have been pretty worried about me if you've broken character twice in one day." Ryanne teased. "That ice won't hold her much longer though, and you can't use your full power unless we rid Cresselia of her Lunar Wing. It's too bad you don't know a move like Knock Off or Thief."

Darkrai broke the embrace, tenting their fingers and pressing their hands to where a mouth would normally be visible. "Actually, I can use Trick." they admitted.

"Trick? That's a Move Tutor move. I don't remember teaching you Trick." Ryanne said in surprise.

Darkrai's eye shifted, breaking eye contact. "Actually, Mallow taught Trick to me. She and I kept each other company while you were in Johto for the Grand Showcase, remember?"

Ryanne's brow raised skeptically. "I see... While I was in Johto, huh? So, if Mallow taught you Trick, is that how she obtained my necklace?"

"Yes Mistress," Darkrai admitted, bowing their head in shame. "When she asked me to obtain the necklace for her, I had believed she wanted to hold on to it for safe keeping. I deeply apologize! I had no idea she intended to hurt you."

Ryanne rubbed the back of her neck with her right hand. "That explains why you were so hesitant to tell me before. You felt guilty that you helped her. I'm not thrilled that you stole from me, mind you, but it takes a lot of courage to admit the truth."

"You're not mad?" Darkrai's eye locked back to hers.

"I'm disappointed, but I understand. Mallow used you to unknowingly hurt me, that's not your fault. I forgive you."

"Thank you Mistress! I promise it will not happen again." Darkrai rasped gratefully.

"Good. Now before Cresselia thaws out, use Trick already."

Darkrai raised their right hand to push back their drape of white bangs, uncovering their second eye with a hexagonally-shaped magnifying glass worn like a monocle. With their left hand, Darkrai carefully removed the Wide Lens, an item use to improve accuracy, giving Ryanne a momentary glimpse at a scar crossing their eye before the curtain of white cascaded back over it. Pinching the Wide Lens between their thumb and forefinger, Darkrai's unobscured left eye focused on the glass for a moment before it shimmered and flashed away. In its place, Darkrai held a pale green feather shaped like a crescent moon.

Darkrai shredded the delicate plume, dropping the pieces defiantly as they fell, power return to their body. Though the Pitch Black Pokémon's strength was restored, enough time had passed, and the frost had thawed enough for Cresselia to break out.

"Your Lunar Wing is gone 'sister', and we are leaving. Do NOT attempt to harm me or my Mistress again. Do you hear me?"

"You will not leave!" Cresselia shrieked telepathically, "We must have our purpose! We. Must. Have. YOU!!" The Psychic-type bolted towards Ryanne, her three planetary ring-like wings aglow with the bright light of Psycho Cut.

"Dark Void!"

At the last moment, a midnight black portal opened in front of Ryanne, swallowing Cresselia before another opened up only two feet behind the Trainer. The second portal deposited the Lunar Pokémon on the ground, asleep. Darkrai's visible eye flashed scarlet for a second, as they cast out a shadowy image of themselves to pass through Cresselia.

"Dream Eater?" Ryanne asked.

Darkrai nodded in affirmation. "Not only will Dream Eater restore some of my energy, but I will be able to 'leave a message' for her, that she will remember upon waking." Darkrai directed their attention to the sleeping Psychic-type. "Forgive me 'sister', I cannot accept your demands. I have found my own purpose with this human here. Traveling with her gives my life meaning. I suggest you find a new meaning to your own life. One that is not repairing what harm I used to cause."

Ryanne gave a quick hug to her old friend, happy that this conflict had ended without anyone sustaining permanent injury. "Do you think she'll listen this time?" Ryanne asked.

"Who knows." Darkrai shrugged, "I am just grateful your sister is nicer mine."

"I wouldn't be so sure about that," Ryanne laughed, "She tried to kill me too. Once when I was little, I ate one of her lipsticks."

Opening another portal, Darkrai and Ryanne walked through hand-in-hand, stepping out comfortably back in Jennette's living room.

"Omastars! You're both back!" Jennette yelped, leaping from the couch to embrace both Ryanne and Darkrai. "We were so worried about you."

"We?" Ryanne asked, only to noticed Kyu was now awake. Pulling her sister's arms off of her, Ryanne knelt down to become eye-level with her Sylveon. "Hey Kyu! How are you feeling Starshine?"

Kyu wrapped her feelers around Ryanne's left hand, pulling it to her face for her to nuzzle. "Sylveon-Sylvie!"

"I take it that means you've recovered enough to travel now? Alright then. Sorry to split so soon Jennette, but it looks like it's time to get going.

Ryanne's older sister retrieved the bag of food she packed earlier, passing it to Kyu while Ryanne picked up the egg incubation case and righted her messenger bag. "You're not going to travel in that basket outside are you? You know how I worry about little things like that."

"Actually, I have a different method of travel in mind." The experienced Trainer grinned, glancing at the Z-Crystal at her wrist.

To Be Continued...