Chapter 6: Graduation

A torrent of rain meant with a horrendous heat wave threatened the people and Pokémon of homeland. To save life as we knew it, it meant making incredibly risky journey. The Sky Pillar was no place for a fairly inexperienced trainer, but the Sootopolis gym leader had faith in Ryan. The climb was treacherous, as the brittle tiles of the ancient tower fractured and crumbled with each movement. One wrong move would send even a careful trainer falling through the floor to ones below, as Ryan had discovered multiple times.

The long repetitive climb, and battles that took place on each attempt, had quickly exhausted all of the trainer's supplies, as well as his Pokemon. Only his trusty Sceptile remained, and their health was waning too. Ryan carefully tiptoes across the shattered tiles, close to the final staircase, when an earsplitting cry shook the foundation itself!

Taking Ryan by surprise, the dragon/flying-type let out another antagonistic cry. Reaching for his bag, Ryan called out his loyal Sceptile. The large reptile clung to the walls of the tower with its strong claws, turning to face the Pokemon that threatened its trainer. An Altaria blocked their path to the top floor, a powerful foe that outlived even Ryan's ace.

"Alright buddy, let's hope you can knock it out with a Leaf Storm!" As the reptile whipped its mighty tail, a powerful wind ripped through the tower, sending leaves hurdling at the dragon like bullets. The Altaria's flight dipped slightly, but it barely seemed affected by the attack.

The fluffy white wings of the wyvern beat as a monstrous plume of flame erupted from its maw. Ryan's Sceptile leaped from the wall in attempt to dodge the blaze, but the splash of the fire off the wall still scorched it. Sceptile stumbled, its health on the edge of passing out. "I don't think you'll be able to take another Fire Blast, we'll need to catch this Altaria or risk climbing the tower again!"

Blindly sticking a hand in the Pokeball pocket of his bag, a sinking feeling washed over Ryan as he felt only two of the capture devices in the pocket. Pulling out a ball with a blue lid and two scarlet stripes, Ryan fast balled the device towards the Altaria. The fluffy dragon was swallowed in a flash of red light, and the ball fell to the floor. It shook once, then immediately shattered, opening to release the now annoyed Pokemon. The Altaria exhaled another Fire Blast, but this time Ryan's Sceptile managed to leap out of the way in time.

Ryan pulled the final ball from the pocket, a ball that had a purple lid with two pink spots. He had received the Master Ball as 'loot' from defeating Team Aqua in their base, but he wasn't sure if he was ready to expend such a valuable tool on an Altaria. His Sceptile looked nigh ready to pass out, and given the disaster raging outside, Ryan couldn't afford to make the climb again.

Sweeping his short ponytail behind his shoulder, Ryan threw the Master Ball with the power of an Octillery's blast. The ball struck threw and three shakes later, the Altaria was caught. He picked the ball off the ground thoughtfully. Sceptile looked to its trainer, anticipating the nicknaming of the new teammate. "Welcome to the family... Soar'N!" Sceptile grinned with approval. "Come on buddy, we have a savior to awaken." And with that, the duo walked up the stairs to meet Rayquaza.

~~~ 12 years later ~~~

In the month since Ryanne had taken Kale under her wing, the young trainer had really blossomed. Kale grew confident and determined and her Goomy had quickly evolved into a powerful Goodra. On the shore outside Ryanne's Secret Base, the two trainers stared out across the river at Mauville City. The younger girl ran a comb through her dragon's viscous body, picking our debris. Likewise, Ryanne absentmindedly brushed Soar'N's wings with a wooden-handled brush, clearing the cottony fluff. As the rising moon peaked above the golden walls of Mauville City, the duo rose from the beached rocks to turn in for the night.