Chapter 56: Fragments

Author's Note:

I was going to put a "Previously on" for this chapter, but I'm assuming most of you have read the previous chapters... so you know what you're getting into.

Pokémon Evolution Chapter 56:

Fragments

With a satisfying latch of a lock, Ryanne secured the last of her belongings in her personal trunk. Even after years of travel, it felt weird sometimes to think that nearly everything she owned fit in a single large wooden footlocker. Grabbing the handles with both hands, Ryanne hoisted the storage box, lugging it out the front door of her apartment. Well... formerly her apartment. As with the lock of the door and passing the keys to the apartment's owner, the living space was no longer hers.

"Are you sure you gotta go kid?" The owner asked, "you were a phenomenal tenant. Between you and me, I never had to worry about you burning down the neighborhood."

Ryanne's imagination flickered to Kiawe's apartment down the street, where the Trial Captain often practiced his fire dancing. "Sorry sir, it's time I moved on. Thank you for leasing us, I made a lot of great memories here."

As the apartment's owner returned to his own home, Ryanne secured her trunk in the basket of Ozone, her Drifblim. "We'll be taking off in a few minutes buddy, I'm just going to stop by the Pokémon Center really quick. You'll be alright out here, right?" The Drifblim bobbed in the air slightly, which Ryanne took as an affirmative.

The Trainer had walked down the unpaved main street of Paniola Town many times, but Ryanne struggled to swallow the lump in her throat when she recognized this would be her last. The automatic doors at the front of Paniola Town's Pokémon Center slid open, and a warm smile greeted her.

"Hello Ryanne! Here for one last check up before you and your Pokémon take off I see?"

"That's right Nurse Joy. I think Kyu's been looking forward to seeing you the most." She replied as she loaded her Pokéballs, save for Ozone's, onto Joy's cart.

"I know you've probably heard it a lot lately, but we're going to miss you in Alola. You really turned Team Skull around for the better. I think I'll miss getting to treat your Pokémon most of all, they're always so well behaved." Nurse Joy's soft pink curls bounced as she tilted her head slightly to give a great grin.

"Thank you," Ryanne replied with a slight blush from the caregiver's kind words. "I'll see you in a few minutes."

The wait for Nurse Joy to check up on the primary members of her team wouldn't take long, but Ryanne knew she had enough time for a drink. Ordering a mug of hot water and a tea bag at the Pokémon Center's café counter, Ryanne took a seat and gazed longingly as it steeped. Wisps of aromatic comfort drifted up from the steaming mug, filling Ryanne's nostrils with a scent she knew far too well. "Roserade tea," she mused, another lump catching in her throat. "Only fitting I drink her favorite before I leave." When the mug had steeped to her liking, Ryanne removed the soaking bag, lifting the ceramic cup to her lips. The hot tea washed down her throat, coating her palette in memories. Some were worth remembering, others too painful. A chime at the Pokémon Center's door filled the large room as familiar voices caught Ryanne's ear.

"I told you she was still here Jack!"

"I never said I didn't believe you, I just assumed she had left by now."

"Jack, Gloria! Here to see me off?" Ryanne forced a smile, quickly wiping dew from her eyes. While Gloria said nothing regarding her appearance, Ryanne could tell from a minor flicker in Gloria's expression that the admin noticed she had been crying.