Chapter 5: Appeal

Author's Note: This is the first chapter to feature a flashback scene. In flashbacks that take place before Chapter 1, Ryanne is referred to Ryan. I am not dead naming my own characters, that is how I distinguish my main character between flashback/pre-coming out (Ryan) versus present/post-coming out (Ryanne).

Tall grass shushed as Ryan sped in hot pursuit of the rarest Pokemon he had ever seen. The sky above leaked a fine, cool mist, and the murky grey sky resembled the Octillery ink his mother occasionally used to flavor soups. The atmosphere uneased him, causing the light brown hairs on his arms to rise. Beside him stumbled a Rotom possessing a washing machine, a recent addition to the party. The Rotom's eyes shifted back and forth, a grimace on its face. A bolt of black and white flashed between them, and angst-filled voice echoing "Go away! Leave me alone!"

The Rotom looked to its trainer for orders. Tugging lightly on the short ponytail in his hair, Ryan considered his options. "Ok Buster, we don't want to harm it, just flush it out." The Rotom nodded with emphasis, producing four pale blue flames to appear with a wave of its wrench-like hands. The Will-O-Wisps snaked through the tall grass, following the bolting figure. The spectral flames circled around it, forcing it to stop, or risk ignition. The figure's spindly limbs froze at the sudden halt. Its only visible eye glared with icy hatred. "You think this can hold me?" it growled.

Ryan and Buster emerged from the reeds, the Rotom aimed it's orange hose at the Darkrai. "Relax Buster, geez, you're going to scare it away," Ryan directed while stretching a hand out in front his Pokemon. "Hey there, I'm Ryan. You must be the Darkrai I've heard so much about." The smoke-like crest on the Darkrai's head ceased its wisping motions. "What have you heard?" it asked.

The trainer pushed his glasses up, recalling the conversation back in Canalave City. "There are a bunch of people in a local city who are up in arms, claiming you are causing nightmares. I came to investigate." The Darkrai nodded knowingly, "yes, trainers have come from Canalave City every day recently seeking to fight me... but I haven't been there in months... I just want to be left alone!"

Ryan pondered for a moment, twirling his ponytail in his fingers. An idea struck him, but he wasn't sure if it would work. "Well, 'Mr. Darkrai' if you aren't causing the nightmares, something else is. Staying here isn't going to clear your name, but I'd like to try to do just that. Come with us back to Canalave City and stop whatever is muddling your reputation!"

The Dark-type's only visible eye shifted back and forth, unsure what to do. "What if we fail, or what if after we succeed trainers still chase after me?" Ryan held out his hand, a warm grin stretched across his face. "If that happens, you can come with us! I know you want to be left alone, but I'll make sure that you will be safe and comfortable."

The Darkrai reached out to take the trainer's hand, shaking apprehensively. With a snap of its fingers, the Darkrai made the Will-O-Wisps dissipate. "I trust you for now human. If I do decide to travel with you though, can I take my books along?" it asked, gesturing to a small stack of novels protected by a box under a tree. Buster lugged the box over, allowing Ryan a peek inside. "Edgar Allen Ponyta? That's some nice taste in literature you have there!" he said with a smile.

~~~~

The images faded to grey as a stirring woke Ryanne from sleep. She sat up with alarm, raising a hand to her chest. "It was just a dream? That... that was so long ago." As the assurance of her current the identity slowed her heart rate, the vividness of the dream already beginning to slip away. Kyu slowly lifted her head from Ryanne's feet, a worried expression on her half-closed eyes. "Don't worry girl, it was just a dream." Both trainer and Sylveon were about to rest their heads again when they noticed a window neither remembered opening.