Chapter 82: Observation

Previously on Pokémon Evolution:

"Pachirisu is not capable of learning the move Double Kick. Not through breeding, through natural progression, even through the assistance of Technical Machines. If your Eevee knowing Double Kick is a surprise to you, Miss Ryanne, your Sylveon doesn't know the move, correct?"

As she remembered back years, Ryanne's eyebrows knit together tightly. "I think so? She never used the move as an Eevee."

"That's what I thought," Maurie muttered, "Which means... Kari here couldn't have been fathered by a Pachirisu in order to have that egg move!"

Pokémon Evolution

Chapter 82: Observation

Kira and Ryanne looked between each other in shock between each other, both unsure of how to react to this revelation.

"Maurie!" Naomi scolded, "You can't just claim something wild like that without any evidence!"

Professor Elm lightly bit at his lower lip as he pondered his lab assistants' observations. "No, no... he has sound logic."

Ryanne grew withdrawn, her arms wrapping around her middle. Her eyes locked on Kari, as she silently breathed through her nose.

"R-Ryanne? Are... are you okay?" Kira whispered, gently placing a hand on her girlfriend's bicep.

The auburn-haired Trainer pulled away a bit. "When we arrived on your doorstep months ago... was that all based on a mistake?"

"Will you listen to yourself Ryanne?" Her voice was calm, yet firm. "You make it sound like you were lied to you or something. That's just the shock talking. Look at me!"

Kira placed her hand on Ryanne's bicep again, pulling her gently to turn towards her. Ryanne's eyes lifted slightly to view Kira from her side. "Even if Patches wasn't Kari's birth father, he is just as much her parent as Kyu is. Kyu and Patches love each other, and I love you."

Letting out a sharp exhale, Ryanne swallowed the lump that had formed in her throat. "I... I love you too. And I couldn't bear to split Kyu and Patches apart, they're adorable together. If Patches is Kari's... adoptive father, then she's still in good hands. Good paws?"

"See? That's the spirit!" Kira lightly hugged Ryanne, the auburn-haired Trainer's body relieving tension in her embrace. "Now, then... Maurie. Which Pokémon could Kari have received Double Kick from?"

Maurie checked his data pad. "Diggersby, Incineroar, Mudsdale, Cinderace, Dubwool, and all of their prior evolutions."

Ryanne's expression lit up. "I've never seen a Cinderace or Dubwool in person before. And the only Diggersby and Incineroar I ever met were in Alola, though we didn't spend much time with them. The only of those Pokémon we spent substantial time around was the Mudsdale belonging to Hapu, but too much time passed between when we saw her last, and when she became pregnant with her second egg."

Professor Elm smirked, "Equally sound logic, all of you. If all of the likely candidates are eliminated, then that puts your Pachirisu back on the table."

"See?" Kira said excitedly, "There must be something else at play here!"

Naomi moved closer to Maurie, gesturing to his data pad. "Can I see your tablet for a moment?" Maurie grunted in approval as he handed the device over, Naomi quickly looking through different infographics. "Ah! I think I found something! You said Kari knows Charm, correct?"