Chapter 11: Lillie

Author's Note: This chapter was written prior to Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. At the time, Lillie had a Vulpix in the anime. Given the lack of an Ice Trainer in Alola and Lillie's Alolan Vulpix, I took a gamble. After seeing her Pokemon in US&UM, I updated her "typing" in later chapters to include both Ice-types and Fairy-types.

Mount Lanakila is a unforgiving climb to reach the Pokemon League at its summit. Compared to the tropical climate throughout the rest of the Alola region, this final venture is a serious test for even the most seasoned of Pokemon trainers. The freezing winds could put an Articuno's blizzard to shame, and even the cavern that offered shelter to the squall offered no respite due to the eager trainers seeking the same spot. For those looking to turn their lives around, it was the perfect environment to earn respect.

A cluster of eight Team Skull Grunts worked to quickly clean up a portion of the cavern, though even with help from their Pokemon, it was difficult work. After moving a boulder into place, a Grunt called over their team's Admin. "Yo yo, Sis? Does this look okay? I'm freezing my digits off here. Can we go soon?"

The Team Skull Admin looked over the group's work. "I think it looks good, but it's not up to me. You all want to make a difference in the community, so it's up to our community partner to decide when you're done." She turned to face the girl waiting patiently with her Vulpix. "Well Ms. Lillie? Are you happy with the Trial space my Grunts have constructed for you?"

The youthful blonde in white joined her to examine the space. "I think it looks rather good, thank you. Vulpix and I will be able to make much better use out of this cavern now. So tell me, when did Plumeria give over her role of Team Skull Admin to you Ryanne?"

The more experienced trainer thanked the Grunts and sent them home for the day. "A lot has happened since you left Alola three years ago. The Alolan League moved to remove the limit, allowing Trial Captains to retain their position after they turned 20, so a lot of trainers scurried to fill in what types they were left over. After Team Skull dissolved, Guzma and Plumeria worked to better themselves and became the Bug and Poison-type Trial Captains respectively. After that, they didn't have as much time to knock the former members into shape though, so I offered to take 10 or so under my wing. They wanted to make a real difference, so I'm glad they've been able to help people like you."

Though she didn't look that different from her apparel, Ryanne certainly looked the part of a Team Skull Admin. She confidently wore the Team Skull shirt and medallion with pride, paired with a fuchsia knee-length skirt and her twin ponytails.

Gratitude and relief crossed Lillie's graceful face, "that's good to hear. Thank you again for bringing them. When you had your Trial with me a few weeks ago, this place was such a dump, but now it feels like home."

"You're going to be a great Trial Captain!"

"I appreciate that, I just wish my little Vulpix could evolve though. We're strong in spirit, but we need more power before we can be a formidable pair." She shrugged.

"This is going to sound obvious, but you could just catch more Pokemon." Ryanne suggested.

"I could, but Vulpix and I have had a close bond ever since Professor Kukui gave her to me. I haven't made the same connection with another Pokemon since. My brother gave me my mother's Nihilego thinking I could bond with it, but I've been too afraid to let it out once."

"I see..." Ryanne pulled out her map, "I could try to track down an Ice Stone for you. Let me see, there has to be one on Ula'Ula island somewhere. Maybe I'll check Po Town first?"

"I could just let Vulpix touch the 'Ice Rock' at the end of the cave and... see what happens?" Lillie offered sheepishly.

"I don't think that will work, but you're welcome to try. I'm going to step over here to make a quick call." As she stepped away from the Ice-type Trial Captain, the Kalos champion pulled her PokeNav Plus from her bag and looked through the Alolan directory. "Ah, here it is!" She selected a number and waited as the phone rang in the background.

Lillie waved for her Vulpix to follow, the fluffy white fox Pokemon skipping along the gravely path behind her. Before them sat a massive crystal the size of a small car. Anything within ten feet of the so-called 'Ice Rock' felt 20 degrees cooler. The cold climate of this cavern didn't bother Lillie, but even she avoided this part of the chamber. As she closely examined the glimmering gemstone, she could hear Ryanne's voice echoing in the distance.

"Hello there, is Mallow free tonight? Oh, we had talked a few days back about making plans. Can you make an exception for a close friend? Yes, at least tell her I called please. If she gets off early, I'll be waiting by the lighthouse tonight. Thank you. Good bye." Ryanne's voice carried throughout the cavern, but Lillie's didn't, it was rather funny when she thought about it.

Lillie's Vulpix stood up on her hind legs and pushed on the 'Ice Rock' with her front two paws. Despite being an Ice-type herself, she strained against the numbing cold of the enormous crystal. Just as she and Lillie were about to give up, a thin veil of frost began to creep up Vulpix's paws. The frost travelled faster and faster, rapidly encasing the Vulpix in ice! Lillie grabbed a rock and began to strike the ice, attempting to break her partner free, but instead the stone crumbled on impact. Panic set in, her heart raced! "Ryanne! Help us!" she cried, the first time her voice had actually echoed in the cave.

Footsteps pounded through the tunnel as Ryanne raced around the corners to her. When she saw the scene unfolding, the older trainer's face wore horror. "Holy s***! What happened?!?"

"Vulpix touched the 'Ice Rock' to see if she would evolve, but now it won't let her go!" She spat. "Please, get her out!"

Grabbing a ball from her bag, Ryanne nodded in affirmation. "Simulacrum, I need your help." The red and white Pokeball burst open to reveal a beast familiar to Lillie, a quadrupedal Pokemon with a bulky brown helmet, scythe-like talons, and large fins on its head and hindquarters. The Synthetic Pokemon let out a throaty growl followed by a muffled screech. "Break Vulpix free with Iron Head, hurry."

The Type:Null's helmet gleamed like chrome as it charged the encapsulating ice. Simulacrum's collided with a resounding crash, sending chips of ice flying... but it wasn't enough to break the frozen tomb. "Why isn't it working?" Lillie yelped with dismay

"Let me try something else," Ryanne replied, retrieving another ball "Kyu, spotlight!" Her Sylveon appeared in another flash of light, immediately charging a Moonblast on command. The magenta energy spiraled from Kyu's mouth, blasting the ice, filling the air with dust. A brilliant cerulean light pierced through the debris, and a loud cracking filled the room. As the dust cleared, the ice shattered, but Lillie's Vulpix was gone! In her place was a beautifully majestic Ninetales! Both trainers were stunned.

"Vulpi-I mean, Ninetales, I'm so glad you're okay." Lillie embraced the Fox Pokemon, tears of joy streamed down her face.

"I... I've never seen a Pokemon evolve like that before. That shouldn't be possible!" Ryanne stammered. "You should go see Professor Kukui immediately, he'll want to see this!"

"What about you? Where are you going?"

"Sorry, but I have to get ready for a date with Mallow tonight!"