21. Memories

Kuro snickers in your ear as Yu wraps lengths of measuring tape around your body. "What are you doing?", you ask her. She looks up at you as she writes down the size for your waist in a small note book. "I've got to find out how big you are so that I can go and buy your uniform this afternoon after work". She pulls a picture from her pocket, showing a picture of a smiley blonde girl in a grey jacket, red tie and dark green skirt. "That's the uniform and since you'll be going to school tomorrow we urgently need to get it". You nod and snap your head to the side as you see movement in the shadows. Without warning, Yu measures around your chest causing you to cringe. She pulls away and writes down the measurement before sliding the notebook into her pocket. "Well I'll be heading out now, see you guys later". You send her a wave as she leaves through the front door. 

Your mother enters the living room, noticing the strange expression on your face. "Are you alright?", she asks. You give a slow nod, glancing up at her. "What did you look like when you were my age?", you ask curiously. She smiles softly in your direction. "I looked a lot like you". She looks towards the stairs and tightly grips the material of the apron she was wearing. "In the attic you might find some photos but I can't guarantee anything". You send her a nod and head up the stairs.

"What are you looking for?", Kuro asks. You were currently walking around upstairs, looking up at the ceilings. "I'm looking for the entrance to the attic". He nods and taps his chin before pointing to the roof in the corner of the room. "Is that it over there?". You turn in the direction he is pointing and head over. There was a hatch in the roof but it didn't seem like the kind to have a ladder. You turn to head down the stairs only to be picked up. "Kuro put me down", you order, making sure to stay quiet so your mother doesn't hear you. He shrugs his shoulders and lifts you on top of them. "Don't give up now, you wanted to check out some stuff up there, didn't you?". You sigh and give in, standing up on his shoulders and moving the hatch out of the way. You then pull yourself up into the attic, having Kuro appear beside you. "How did you get up here?", you question. She shrugs his shoulder, shoving his hands into his pockets. "I'm a shadow spirit, I move with the shadows". You roll you eyes and beginning looking around, sorting through boxes. 

You find one labelled with your mother's name and brush the dust off of it. It looked untouched, she did disappear for 16 years after all. You pulled the lid off and hid your nose and mouth under your shirt as dust blew around the room.  After waving it away with your hand you looked over the side of the box and reached inside, pulling out several different items. "What did you find?", Kuro asks, leaning over your shoulder. One item was a necklace, one was a feather and the last was several photographs. You lifted the necklace to see a small gold heart-shaped charm with the words 'I dream only of you' carved into it. Kuro snickers and flicks the charm. "How romantic", he snickers sarcastically. You shove his shoulder playfully and hold the charm to your chest. "It's my mother's so please leave it be". He picks up the feather and inspects it. It was quite large and the purest white. "Do you know what this is from?", he asks, poking your neck with it. He expected a laughing reaction from you but instead only got you snatching the feather from him. You touch its softness, running your finger along it. "I think its from her quirk". You place it on the ground then reach for the photographs. There were three all together, the first was of a (h/c) haired girl holding a blonde baby, it was your mother and aunt Yu. She looked a few years younger than you. You looked at the second picture and found a picture of your mother in her U.A uniform, she looked about your age. You flipped it over and saw 'First day of U.A' written on the back. You then grabbed the last picture, your eyes widening at the sight of it. It was a picture of you mother and boy, they looked a couple years older than you. The two of them were holding hands, the boy had a tired look on his face but you could see the love in his eyes as he looked at your mother who smiled brightly. 

"So that's the guy?", Kuro asks. You nod slowly. "It must be the man she is always talking about". You felt bad knowing that your father had taken her, not only away from her family and friends but her lover too. You felt a little guilty too, you wished you had taken you mother away from that horrible man sooner. You suddenly stood up, taking the photos and necklace in your hands as you made your way back to the hatch. You jumped down and had Kuro close the roof before he joined you on the second floor. The two of you headed down stairs, not seeing your mother anywhere. "Kuro, where is she?", you ask the shadow boy. He points to the living room and takes your wrist, pulling in.

 Once inside you noticed you mother laying down on the couch, asleep. She was smiling in her sleep but her eyes suddenly snapped open. "Huh?", she looks around, trying to figure out what's going on. "What were you dreaming about, mother?", you ask. She blushes and looks down at her hands. "Oh it was nothing". You hand her the photos and necklace. "Was it about him?". She flicks through the photos, her gaze lingering on the final image. She smiles sadly up at you, taking your hand and placing something in it. She nods. You open your hand and see the necklace laying in your palm. "I want you to have it". You bow your head. "Thank you, mother". She lays back down and rests her head on her knees. "Why don't you go and find him?". She bites her lip, averting her eyes. "This may be something you don't quite understand yet but sometimes when you care about someone you have to do what's best for them. I don't want to pull him into this mess". You sit beside her. "But don't you love him?". She chuckles. "Of course I do. But there are times when we can't be selfish, I don't even know if he still loves me. He could've moved on and had a family of his own, he could be in love with someone else but just as long as he's happy I will continue to support him". You notice the sad expression on her face. "But doesn't hurt?". She nods. "It does, it hurts very much. But just as long as he is happy I will be". She suddenly stands up and wipes her eyes, you hadn't realized it but she had started to cry. "I'll get started on lunch, could you please head to the store and get a few things?". You nod and watch her disappear into the kitchen. She was amazing, your mother. She strong, able to keep her emotions to her self to make you feel happy and safe. You just wished that after all of this time, now that you two were free, she could stop hurting.

This one is a bit longer than the others, its about 1200 words so hope you enjoy it. Vote and follow me for more. Thank ya XD