74. I can't lose

I stood before him, watching his masked face intensely. It was hard to read his emotions, mainly because he covered everything up with a "happy" smile. He readied himself, getting into a battle stance, eyeing you as you did the same. Everything you knew was because of him and a few of his colleagues, others who hated heroes as much as he did.

You were lucky that while living in the hell he called a home, you got the opportunity to train under the infamous hero killer. Sure, the time he spent around wasn't long but you paid close attention to his techniques, wanting to one day become stronger than your father and... kill him.

That had been your dream for so long, to permanently free yourself and your mother from the wrath of that horrid man. But now that you were older, you understood more. Perhaps it wasn't your father's fault he was like this, maybe it was his past that drove him. Staring him down, you felt less inclined to stab him. He continued to hold eye contact, adjusting his grasp on his weapon.

"I taught you that the first to strike has the advantage, didn't I? Why is that you wait? I'm your opponent and I'm standing before you, surely you're going to attack." His taunting wasn't going to work, not now not ever. It could be a trap, as soon as you approach he could cut you down. But this reminded you of what happened before. You were the reason he was here, he would never hurt you like this. His daughter was a treasure, something that he valued more than his own life. This battle was between two people who didn't want to hurt the other too badly, one with empathy and the other with greed.

Taking the opportunity, you dashed in his direction, swiping your sword at his legs. You knew he would dodge the attack, otherwise, it would've sliced open or off his leg. He chuckled at the attempt and counter attacked, his blade barely missing your neck. You ducked and rolled out of his path, running up and going in for another strike. He leapt back, skidding across the ground as he lands.

"You're a lot faster than I expected," he laughs. Clicking your tongue, you glared at him. This was no laughing matter, he didn't see the seriousness in this. Either one of you would die or get severely injured, his plan may have seemed like it but it wasn't smart. Giving you a weapon was the worst decision her ever made, scratch that, having you was.

Someone with his strength, intelligence and quirk paired with someone with perfect stats like your mother, created a weapon of utter destruction and power. He was smart, too smart for his own good but there was something he wasn't too knowledgeable with. Others emotions, how strong someone becomes when someone they care for is put in danger. How pure emotion can fuel someone to victory even though they are considerably weaker. How determination for loved ones can push even the weakest creature to its goal. Sure, he loved you more than anything but you were what he was fighting for. If he could capture you, it would be his win. But nothing else drove him, or so you thought.

"I found that book under your pillow," he chuckles, charging at you. You dodged his attack, flipping back, landing in a crouched position.

"That book was written by my mother to be passed down to future generations, she wanted our family to understand and embrace our power. Others see us as villains, no one here cares for you except me. Only I understand the burden of this quirk, only I know what it feels like to be ridiculed for my genes." Your glare intenses as you swipe your blade in his direction, barely missing him.

"You're wrong, people accept me for who I am, not the ability I have. My quirk has nothing to do with my personality. Only the ignorant see it that way and those with that mind set are people I don't associate with," you rebuttal. His smile widens as his blade comes down at you, making a loud noise as both blades clash.

"The world is ignorant, (Y/n). Everyone sees it that way, they have a very windowed way of viewing things. It will never change, we'll always be the scum of the earth. Even if you live your life as a so called hero people will still hate you, why not live the hated life like every other villain, huh? You belong in the shadows, the darkness is what fuels us." Pushing back against his blade, his arms began to shake.