36. The notebook

"And here you are... sitting alone in the music room once again". You sigh and look up at the raven-haired male who sat on the piano stool. You were sitting on the floor with your back pressed up against the wall. "It's not that I wanted to be rude to my classmates but I wanted to take a look at the notebook, I'm not going to risk it at home". Kuro chuckles, appearing beside you. "That would make a right mess, wouldn't it? Your mother would lose all trust in you if she found such a book in your possession". You look over at your bag as you pull it to yourself. "You think I don't know that already? There is nothing wrong with what I am doing but if it was taken out of context they could accuse me of being a villain", you mutter. Kuro rests his head on your shoulder, trying to get on your nerves. "That'd be pretty random, right? A villain found training in a hero school". You remain silent as you open your school bag and pull out the black leather notebook. You ran your fingers over the gold lettering as you had done when you had found the book. "Marionette, huh?". You nod your head, your eyebrows furrowing slightly. "It doesn't seem like you like that name". You let out a sigh and open the notebook. "It's because I don't". On the first page, there seemed to be a letter, written for you by your father.

To my dearest Marionette

I apologize for what happened to your mother but it was time. Now that you're reading this your heart has been shattered but I promise you that I will be there every step of the way to heal your broken heart. We all have to go through this to reach our full potential and my quirk is unattainable if you live a perfect life. We all go through pain to reach where we are, just like I had and my mother before me. She was abandoned as a child and had her shadows raise her, falling in love with my father when she reached her teenage years. I was surprised when I was told this but my father was quirkless but she loved him none the less. Sometimes I feel regret for the things I have done to your mother but Akuma would never let me, I find her to be quite controlling sometimes. I just hope that you can understand that I never intended to hurt you and I would like you to forgive me, you don't understand how much you mean to me. I love you, my precious daughter.

The Shadow Puppeteer

Many questions infiltrated your mind. What happened to your mother? Did he truly regret all the things he had done to her? Who was Akuma? And finally, how much did you mean to him? Enough to trap you in a house for the entirety of your life, harm your mother and parade you around like an object in front of other villains. Your hands clamped firmly onto the book, very nearly tearing one of the pages. Kuro sighed and pulled the book from your hands. "You're as emotionally incapable as that Bakugou boy". He flicks through the pages and stops on a specific one before handing it back to you. "Now just forget about the note, we can talk about it later. But for now, I want you to try something out". You look down at the pages to see what looks to be a hand with black strings extending out of the fingers.

"What's that?', you ask. Kuro raises an eyebrow at you. "You don't know what those are? I thought you knew about your father's quirk". You shook your head. "I know a few things but he never really used his quirk around me, he used to say that when the time had come he would train my quirk. All I know about it is that he can control someone with their shadows by talking". Kuro glanced down at the book and pointed to the text next to the picture, beginning to read it out. "Those with the shadow puppetry quirk are able to extend shadow threads from the fingers and use them to control shadow spirits. By moving their fingers, they are able to control the movements of the shadows like puppets on a string. Shadow spirits are usually accumulated when the user kills someone or if they are gifted to said person". Kuro stops and meets your gaze as your eyes widen. "To get shadow spirits you have to kill people?", you question, your voice shaking slightly. Kuro pets your shoulder lightly as he nods. "When you were born you only had me as a shadow spirit since I was bound with your shadow, but when you turned 5 years old your father gifted you with ten of your very own". You felt as if you were shaking, not from fear but of shock. You'd never expected to hear something like that. "So they're dead people?". Kuro lets out a sad chuckle. "Of course not, I'm sure I've told you this before but everyone has a shadow spirit bound to there shadow and only those who have the shadow puppetry quirk have one like me, one that is sentient. The others just follow you around, since they don't have a body to latch onto any more they go in search of someone they can latch onto to protect. You could call it instinct, they find the greater being, the shadow puppeteer, and they devote themselves to them". You nod your head in understanding. "So the only way I can get stronger is to kill people". Kuro bites his lip in irritation, but his expression disappears a second later as he picks up the notebook and begins flipping through the pages.

His face lights up when he stops on a specific page. He holds it up and points to a picture of a black sphere in the palm of someone's hand. "There is one way".

I wanted to write so here it is! I hope you enjoy! Vote and follow me for more. Thank ya XD